Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stefan Lessard's effects.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spanqubus, May 27, 2003.

1. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    I don't know if this belongs here but, I was wondering if anybody knew what kind of effect Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band) uses for his solo before All Along the Watchtower on the Listener Supported CD. I also would like to know what he is using to get his sound on that version of the song. It is really cool, sounds bubbley almost.

Thanks

2. i am not quite sure what certian effect pedal he is using but i do know that he uses a warwick dolphin pro(as opposed to his usual modulus flea) w/ a glass bottle neck slide, i save him do it at the boulder july 2001 show.

3. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Well I know he uses a Eventide GTR-4000 Ultra-Harmonizer. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me exactly what effect it is just by listening to it since there are so many in that thing.

Thanks

4. to correct Adam C.T., one the boulder show he uses a warwick set neck 6 string with a bottle neck slide, then switches over to his modulus flea five. on the listener supported dvd, he uses a octave effect cranked way up.and then over to some sort of a under water effect with low gain.

5. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Thank you quantum5. Yes he uses his Tumb 6 and a slider for Two Step, he uses just his Flea 5 for Watchtower on the boulder dvd. Does anybody know where I can get the effects quantum5 named without the buying the GTR-4000?

Thanks again to both of you.

6. umm i have a zoom 708II and the octave effect on there works well with my quantums emg's. ive heard good thins about the ebs octabass so that might work. are u a big fonz fan? what kind of bass do u play? how long have u been playing?

7. Spanqubus

Spanqubus

Apr 28, 2003
    Hell ya, I love the man, well not really but you know what I am saying. I love DMB, and fonzi seems like he is a really cool guy. I am playing a 5 string Jazz bass. I've only been playing a little over a year. I love just listening to dave and learning stefan's bass lines. I would have to say my two favorite songs to play are Two Step and Watchtower. I love improvising at the begining of them. I just got a slider today and was playing around with that, too bad the j-bass doesn't have as many frets as I would like. I am definetly saving up for a Flea bass, I love the ones that fonzi uses. The reason I ask is that my band is just starting to come together to where we will be playing around in a couple months and I would love to be able to play those two songs the way fonzi does, especially on the Listener Supported cd.

Thanks

8. thats way kool. ive been playing about 8 yearsnow and know almost all the dmb songs by heart. fonz is the most influential bassist to me and he is just so creative. my favorite songs are prolly crash into me, two step, the stone, and the dreaming tree. as u could tell, i play a modulus quantum 5 and a prototype samick 6 string(only one ever made). the tone that stefan is just amazing and modulus has the best basses out there. the flea bass has incredible versitilty and is the best for the the money.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You also need to relize that steffan uses myers equipment! Whish is really nice stuff! But unless you can sale your house dont try to buy it. But the myers gear has a very strange quality to the sound.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    moved to effects since you're asking about what particular effects he's using on certain song(s)