Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stefan Lessard's Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skywalker22, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

This is the first time I've asked a question so here it goes...
    What is the Modulus 5-string that Stefan Lessard is holding at the beginning of the article in the July issue of Bass Player. I thought it was the Flea Bass but when I looked at it in the August issue it looks different. Can anyone help me here?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think I vaguely remember seeing the picture you are referring to. Don't quote me on this, but I think that was basically a Modulus Quantum with a pickguard bolted on.

3. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

Well I just figured it out. I went to the modulus site and it's a flea bass. The one is the August issue of BP has jazz pickups and Stefan's doesn't. Thanks anyways.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I knew he uses Flea 4 and a Flea 5.. doesn't he use a Quantum bass as well? :confused: :confused:

5. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

I am not sure, I went to the DMB site and it says he uses the flea basses and then two other Moduluses but there is no specification.

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Are you sure they were jazz pickups? I remember seeing two humbuckers? I also remember seeing the treble side horn to be sharper than that on the Flea Bass, like a Quantum.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I know he has a Modulus Flea 4,5, I think a Modulus Quantum 5 and 6 strings.. I know he uses couple of warwicks, I think they were a thumb and a dolphin.. but thats all i remember. I know he used a Quantum of some sort for sure doh

8. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I know what the Flea J Bass looks like, but I think I remember him with a Quantum.
    Oh well, I must be hallucinating.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He uses Flea 4 and 5s, and Quantum 5s and 6s. I've seen him using all of them.

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Why doesn't someone just take a look at the picture an look at the headstock of the bass in question so we can put this all to rest.

If it's 4+1, then it's the Flea J.

If it's 3+2, then it's a Quantum.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Or...

If it's triangular, it's a Quantum. If it's not, it's a Flea bass.

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well in the BP article it said he uses a Flea 4 and a Flea 5 along with some Warwicks.

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Angus: So i was right! WOOHOOO!! :D

15. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    go to the dave matthews band website and
    there are plenty of pictures of him and a
    list of his eq. he does indeed have a 5 str.
    quantum and there is a picture of him. looks
    like he's using the fleas mostly these days
    though.

16. phatvatlix

phatvatlix

Jul 18, 2005
    Anybody know what kind & type of pickups Stefan uses on his Modulus Flea basses?

17. After viewing several of the live Dave DVD's I've seen him use 3 different basses. A Flea 4 black, Flea 5 black, and Quantum 5 fretless orange type coloring

18. IIRC, the Flea 5 is a custombuilt one, with 24 frets instead of the standard 22. I saw him use it on the Late Show recently.

19. On the live in central park DVD he uses almost exlusively Flea Basses except for one song where he uses a fretless quantum.