Stefan Olsdal? (Placebo)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tekhna, Nov 7, 2004.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Any info on him, his gear? He does actually have some good lines and great tone on songs like Allergic (To thoughts of mother earth) amongst others.
  2. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    I've got an old Bassist (UK) magazine kicking around here somewhere that's got an interview with him in it. I'll see if I can find it, but off the top of my head, he plays a Fender Jazz, and a Fender Bass VI for some stuff.
  3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for posts on Placebo and thought I'd revive it. Been listening to the "Once More With Feeling" singles compilation this week and have been digging the great bass lines by Stefan. He's playing some simple, fluid parts that enhance each track to the fullest, and there's some killer distortion/fuzz tones going on as well. Great band, great songs, definitely underrated (here in the States at least)
  4. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I saw Placebo live last August, sadly I don't remember what his gear was but great tone and great performance.
  5. JacobE

Jul 19, 2008
    ive got soul mates never die there live dvd and when he plays bass he uses a gibson thunderbird no idea what amp or anything also ive seen him use a gibson flying v bass also, not to mention the jazz bass someone pointed ouit

i think thats all he uses bass wise couldnt tell ya the amp tho, he also plays a fair bit of guitar live
  6. JacobE

Jul 19, 2008
    oh yess another thing bionic is a great song if u wanna hear some of his excelent tone he just plays a wierd cord thing on the d and the g string
  7. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    It's unfortunate that Placebo never really caught on in the US, but that's the case with so many bands from overseas. Despite the great songs and musicianship, I feel like Brian's androgynous image weirded out many people here and kept them from listening further. I'm going to see the Stereophonics in DC in Sept - another incredible band that fills arenas in Europe but is doing good to fill a club in the States.