Steffan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band Bassist)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Feb 11, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I dont see many people talking about him?He is my fav new bass player he is so dmaned smooth!
  2. I like his playing. I just don't talk about other bass players alot.
  3. Lessard's a very good player, but I really can't stand DMB. Between Mr. Matthews' annoying voice and the smooth jazz solos, I just can't stand more than 15 minutes of them.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dig stefan lessard...the DMB is pretty kewl in my opinion.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Steffan's a great player, and DMB is killer too. Best band to come out during the 90's IMO.

Just because the soloists aren't playing distorted guitar doesn't make it "smooth jazz" by the way :rolleyes:. Actually, that's one of the coolest things about the band, no damn wanker guitar solos ;), the violin and woodwinds are a much welcome change in the respect. Some of us need to take the blinders off, I'd say.

I can see Dave Matthews' voice being an "acquired taste" for some though, sorta like all those heavy metal, uh...singers :eek: are for me.

Side note: Carter Beauford is probably the best drummer in pop/rock music right now.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...there ain't nothing "smooth" about Tim Reynolds' guitar solos!
    You guys shoulda heard Beauford & Reynolds when they played together in a Fusion band around these parts back in the late '80s/early '90s(w/ Keith Horne on bass). Whew! ;)

I do like how Beauford's linear Funk rhythms compliment Lessard's R&B-ish inspired basslines. Beauford is definitely "thinking back there" & not merely churning out the same ol' 1&3/2&4 backbeat. Be aware, there's a lot more guys playing like Beauford that will absolutely love to pull the rug out from under you if you don't have your S*** in a sock. :D

DMB's new one is due out in a couple weeks.
    (FWIW, I am getting a little over DM's vocals/yodeling...played out!).
  7. i think he's pretty good, but you can barely hear him live, the mix is so cluttered. they need to turn him up. cool solo in their live video though. DMB's new song is absolute crap in my opinion, and nobody i've spoken to likes it.

by the way, anybody that's been to a DMB show - do you get annoyed at those everlasting keyboard solos? i mean, the keyboardist isn't really even part of the band!!
  8. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    If you're the same eric atkinson that works/worked for JCI send me an e-mail. If not ignore this. :D
  9. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Stefens a really good player. And besides, DMB has an incredible drummer
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...yeah, I was gonna add that Lessard's sound/where he sits in the mix(even on the studio albums)gets lost(IMO).
    As far as the new DMB tune, EVERYBODY I know(well, the 5-6 people around me @the hockey games)LOVES IT! I think I've heard the tune 1-2 times...sounds kinda similiar to the vibe on "Too Much"(I think).
    BTW, if it's Butch Taylor on the keyboards, then he's another musician from the Beauford/Reynolds connection(trumpeter John D'Earth, too)...check the credits on BENEATH THESE CROWDED STREETS.
  11. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    DMB is one of the best live bands EVER!!! They are such a talented band, Stefan's awesome, Carter is incredible, and I love the way Dave sings. It's not his voice, it's the way he sings that I love. DMB and Pearl Jam are my two favorite bands right now. PJ probably #1 ever Dave's in the top 5, top 3 live.
  12. I'd disagree on the second and third statements, but Steffan is an excellent player and I actually find him to be a great player to model myself on, both tonally and technically. You're talking to a guy who listens to a lot of classic '50s and '60s jazz (Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, etc.), not some 13-year-old metalhead. I play in a fusion band with a trumpeter, too. I find that the saxophonist, at least, falls back on a lot of R&B/smooth jazz pentatonic-based licks (a la Kenny G or Grover Washington) that annoy the hell out of me. Don't make assumptions, bucko.

To each his own. I'll take Bruce Dickinson belting out "Flight of Icarus" any day.

Yes, yes he is. On that, too, we are in agreement.
  13. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    If you kids like the new tune, wait till you hear the whole new album, it's I am not really a die-hard fan, but I do play the part of Stefan at least 2 nights a week...and I really don't get "way" into the DMB sound, but I love "Everyday" It is a really great album.
  14. minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    I too think that Stefan is a very smooth bass player. On the live video he plays so gracefullly, and so relaxed. He is one of my favorite bass players, very underated too. Also, i dont understand why everyone thinks that DMB is selling out, or that their new stuff sucks because its not like the old stuff. thats good. change is good. they are still the same great musicians that they always were. most bands go through a change and it seems that when they do there are always people saying they sold out or something stupid like that. if you think about it, wouldnt you get bored if you were in a band that played the same things, and same style every night for 15 years in a row. DMB is just changing it up a bit. and if you dont like the new stuff then good. more open seats at the shows. and yes carter is very awesome!
  15. pistol_p_e_t_e

Feb 5, 2001
    hell no! he is awsome along with dave, carter, boyd,and leroi.......they are the best ever
  16. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would have to agree...if i'm not mistaken, he and victor wooten grew up together in virginia beach, va together...i think i heard that somewhere. and he played drums on one of the tracks on the yin yang album...zenergy, if my memory serves me correctly. awesome percussionist, indeed...all that and chewing gum simaltaneously
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll give my "three thumbs up" to Steffan Lessard:D I think he's a very creative, soulful bass player who does not fall into any generic sounds and grooves! He's one of the few bassists to come out of the '90's who I actually study! And, for being as young as he was when DMB got started, I really tip my hat to him!!! :D:D
  18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Here is my point to the people that dont like dmb if everyone likes your band then the band probably sucks ass!If you make youre music to make eveyonr happy then you will be playing crap like the goo goo dolls!DMB was just very lucky there are millions of awsome bands like them out there that do there own thing for themeselfs and really could care less if they make it or not!They played very small shows for years and made it the right way!Long before they ever got signed they had huge shows and why?Not because all the little teenage kids went to see them because it was the cool thing to do but because people loved them!When we play shows i could really care less if we have 300 screaming kids that are there to dance and really dont care whats going on band wise i much rather have 20 people there that will respect what iam doing!I agree i kinda hope that people just hate there new stuff so i can catch them at a show without 20,000 little yuppy teenage kids that are there because it the thing to do!I caught there show this year at st.louis and steffan jammed with victor wooten!Yes it was awsome!P.s its hard to here hes mix because he uses alot of compression to get that smooth ass sound of his!For some reason that sound doesnt do for **** outdoors!But i saw them in a inside gig along time before they were famous they open up for big head todd(another great bass player)and it was great!no little kids at the show!
  19. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Uh, Eric,
    Is your space bar broken?

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  20. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Hey Minkis,

There is actually a lot of stuff on the new album that sounds like old stuff, only the production is different...there is a tune that sounds just like One Sweet World...or was it #36?

eh, anywho...