Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

steffan lessard

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jan 4, 2003.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guys whats up with his new sound? I cant stand it! He is playing the new modulas flea bass now and i just couldnt stand the sound live! I loved the warwick and modulas quantum sound he had going! But what is with this change for the worse? Maybe its just my taste what do you guys think? It looked to me as he is still using the myers cabs did he change anything else?

2. that is a good question i never really thought about that untill now. i have been folllowing DMB since before 'under the table and dreaming' and lessard is one of my big influences. i don't hate his new tone but i have to agree it is different. my favorite was the solo he dose at the beginnig of watchtower and i know he dose that on a wawick. i saw him do it @ the last boulder co. show (the most recent live album:p ) it was awsome!!

3. on another note i had the pleasure of playing the same modulus flea5 stephan lessard plays it was sweeeeeet. the guy at the store kicked me out because i was drooling all over it:rolleyes:

4. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Its not really the flea bass i have the problem with! I have also played one not to long ago and liked it very much! But i just dont think it sounds good with his setup or somthing! Its just not as smooth as he used to be! I love that tone he had on 41 and two step

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO-
    Whatever he played back in the Remember Two Things & Recently daze sounded fine(compared to what I've heard on Under The Table 'til the present.

DMB fans(Eric?)-
    Should I opt for the DVD or CD of their latest LIVE thingee?
    ;)

6. I kinda like his tone now, but I'm not referencing it to any of their ealier stuff. I heard a song in my friend's car, I think off Everyday, and I liked how it sounded very authoritative and such....but I don't like DMB that much.soo....

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    That was still the Dolphin Pro on both CD's.. And the Folsom Field DVD is better. The sound mix isn't great on either the DVD or the CD, so just being able to watch it is great. Plus on the DVD there's a few seconds of Boobies during Ants Marching.. lol

Big Will: Please, for gods sake, listen to other stuff other than Everyday. That is by far not their best work. Get check out the albums Before These Crowded Streets or Busted Stuff to really hear some good DMB.

Stefan and his Quantum always sounded amazing.. best song on it is "The Stone" from the live Listener Supported show.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Naa if you want to listen to dave mathews band start from the beginig! atleast start with under the table and dreaming! Busted stuff isnt bad but it still feels like he is hiding again?

The dvd is better because you can see how bored they all look playing there new ****! Then when they break into old stuff they get excited again!

I feel so sorry for carter and stephan! They look so damned bored on there new stuff

9. Yeah, but it's kind of offset by how rich they are getting off of their new stuff. I doubt they are complaining too much, and I sure don't feel sorry for the positions they are in.:)

10. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah thats true! i just hope they respect and give us the musicians that made them famous in the first place a gift of doing what they are good at! Just pure great jamming. Not this radio friendly crap

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Eric, ya seem to be a hardcore DMB fan, as am I.. Have you checked out www.nancies.org ? They have a great Forum board over there, if you already checked it out you'd know that as well.

12. BassDmb18

I don't like Busted Stuff that much, it sounds too much like every other DMB record. I like Under the Table and a bit of Crash. But Crowded Streets and a bunch of his other albums just sound too much like the same song being played over and over.
    Normally, I wouldn't mind this (I listen to a lot of punk), but I know DMB can do so much more than that.
    A good number of his songs are really good and interesting, too many for it to be an accident, so I expect more from him. Everyday has some really interesting and cool songs. At least I think so.

Just the way I am...

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    everyday is a imbaressment to me! I cant even think what got into those guys head to do that album? Someone should take that keyboard player out in field and shoot him in the back of the head! I will check out that forum thanks!

14. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Ha.. Butch Taylor (Keyboardist) aint all that bad.. he does add to alot of stuff.. Just, Everyday was the best work as a WHOLE BAND, not just Butch Taylors fault. yea, and let me know what you think of that Board over there.. I'm under the same name over there too, I think.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just in case you guys didn't know-

Butch Taylor, Carter Beauford, Tim Reynolds, & John D'earth all played in an '80s/'90s Fusion band called Secrets(outta Richmond, VA).
    Add one Keith Horne on bass(+ another happenin' keyboard player named Dane Bryant...who plays with Clint Black) & you had a very smokin' group.
    I got the albums to prove it! ;)

Everyday-
    What happened?
    Glenn Ballard happened...

16. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    True That.. Ballard is the devil. He also helped Dave write "Where Are You Going?" since that song was the be released first for the mr. deeds soundtrack which came out way before Busted Stuff.. So theres even hints of Ballard in that song as well..

17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I just wish they would put out another good quality record like crash or before these crowded streets! On those albums those guys sound like they were meant to be together. But onthese lst two albums they sound like a everyday band.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I heard a DMB song just yesterday in the car, cant remember the name, I just remember him singing "and she prays" I dont know if thats old or new stuff, but I thought the bass tone was pretty good on it. Very full and well rounded.

19. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    That song is Grey Street.. Yea, theres alot of good fills in that, and a wicked chorus line.

20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah there are some good bass songs on busted stuff but carter really seems to slack off on the cd. I love the use of fills carter deos. Alot of people think he is to buisy but i love how he does so much but at the same time its not over fill. Thats a hard task for a drummer. I know you guys have had drummers like i have that just either sit there playing a boring ass beat. But at the other end i am sure as with me some of you have had that drummer that thought he was bieng clever and just put way to much into it! I wish i could try out a myer cab like steffans! I looked that co. up and they are self powerd cabs and man they are wicked $$$$$