Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

steinberg cubase

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    is it just mine or does steinberg cubase alway put a delay between what you play on input and what the computer plays on output is their away to get rid of this space between them because it make it very hard to make a several track recording by my self and thats what i do part of the time.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You'll always have some latency, especially if you use a soundcard that has no ASIO drivers.
    But I guess you mean a chorus or delay-like sound that's caused by this:
    Your hear 2 signals, one is the input signal that comes from the soundcard input (which is routed on the line in of your soundcard or windows playback mixer) and the other is actually the output of Cubase (this one is routed on the wave slot on the soundcard/windows playback mixer).
    Since Cubase adds a little latency also, you get a delay.

There's two ways around this:
    1. You uncheck the line in slot in the soundcard/Windows playback(!) mixer.

Pro: You can add and hear Cubase FX in realtime while you're playing and recording your bass.

Con: If the latency of your soundcard is long, the delay between plucking the string and hearing the sound in your speakers can throw you off.

2. Cubase: Go options ->Audio settings -> System -> Monitoring -> check 'global disable'
    Now you'll only hear the signal from your soundcard inputs, before the go through Cubase.

Pro: No latency

Con: FX will only be audible after recording the bass, when you start playback in Cubase.

Hope this helps, if not, just ask again.

3. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    thanks jmx you help me alot