Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger Availability?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Esquillama, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hey, does anybody know if there's anywhere else to buy a
    Steinberger other than MusicYo.com?
    I'm just curious if that's the only place you can get one.
    I found some at Amazon.com, but I think they actually are
    bought through MusicYo.com.
    Of course, I could be wrong.
    Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    New Steinbergers are sold exclusively through MusicYo. Steinberger replacement parts are sold exclusively through MusicYo. I'm amazed that strings for my bass aren't sold exclusively through MusicYo. Gibson is doing a good job of effing up the Steinberger brand name.

I'd advise looking used for all things Steinberger, unless you're looking at a Spirit, in which case, MusicYo is the only game in town.

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Jabberwock-

Why do you say this? (I'm not challenging you, I am just interested in why you think this is the case.)

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    A few years back, they put out replacement parts for various Steinberger basses. They no longer put out the claws that retain ballends on their bridges, and they won't allow a third party to make them. This means that if mine breaks, and I can't find one used, I'm just hosed. The tolerances on these parts are way too tight for me to make myself. They just lost me as a repeat customer, since these parts potentially break every few years. There are other replacement parts, as well, that are no longer available. This would be fine by me, but they won't allow anyone else to manufacture or sell them, so they're just plain unattainable outside of the used market.

Also, the MusicYo exclusivity. The brand name isn't seen that much anymore, and you can't go try a Spirit, or one of the newer models (the necks are manufactured differently than they were before). Who wants to plunk down cash on an instrument they can't try out?

The vast majority of models are the Spirit line--wooden necks, and not that well set up, most definitely not as playable as the super-low action graphite models, and they don't have most of the things that sold people on Steinberger, i.e. quality active electronics, lower weight, even lower action without buzz, superior neck stability, etc.

Finally, the XL (boat paddle) and M series were two of the top sellers from Steinberger. Gibson hasn't bothered to put them out anymore, despite thriving eBay sales on these and other models. Go see how much these things go for, and then think about how many people would love to own them new.

Quality, service, and community were things that Steinberger capitalized on, to the point that they were able to sell the name to Gibson for an impressive sum, but Gibson is slowly killing off the things that made the Steinberger brand great. The Synapse is nice, and the only model available outside of MusicYo, but people who owned Steinbergers before aren't as impressed by the new model-myself included (this is a rather sweeping statement, I know. I may be projecting somewhat here, but then, I've heard the same from the Yahoo Steinberger group, so I'm not alone on this.) It's a great technological innovation, but overall, the instrument is just bland compared to my XM.

It isn't just Steinberger; Gibson has done this to Tobias and other brands lately, too. At this year's NAMM show, they weren't even allowing people inside their booth without an invitation...rumors abound that the new head of Gibson has his head up his arse, and from what I've seen, I'm willing to believe it.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I just wish they would bring back the all-carbon-fiber XL series of basses. The composite construction was the most important innovation in the bass, in terms of sound, IMO. Nothing else is like it.

I'd be prepared to shell out major $$$ if they would start making the XL-5W again . . . :scowl:

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    See? I'd love to be able to a new XM-5. I'd love to fork over the dough, and so would others. Gibson is missing out...

Sorry. This is one of my ranting subjects...I'll shut up for a bit now...

7. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    The steinberger synapses are available through musicians friend. And if i'm not mistaken they're having a blowout on B stock right now.... 56% off.

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Musician Fiend sells the Synapse models, they go for around $1000. As far as Musicyo goes, they still sell the adaptors to let you use regular strings. I bought one but am still using the double-ball strings from them.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    What I was referring to was the bridge end...they sell the retaining claws for guitar only, not the bass models.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'm not sure what a retaining claw is, I was referring to one of these:

[​IMG]

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    The claw is the part that holds the string at the bridge end on their DB and TransTrem bridges. Whether you use doubleball ends or mod your Steiny for regular strings, you need this part. I'd post a picture, but MusicYo doesn't sell them, so they don't show you pictures of them, either. I can't even buy a regular DB bridge as a complete assembly for my bass, anymore. Just a year ago it wasn't a problem...why the change? I would've stocked up had I known.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Ah! Now I get it. The part that the knob screws in and out, gotcha!

edit: You can buy a whole bridge assembly from ALLPARTS. Of course it costs more than the whole steiny spirit. :D

13. About the best place to look for used 'bergers these days is eBay. Watch out for scammers though...'bergers seem to be a popular scam item. Ed Roman also has a good stock of used 'bergers out in Vegas...he asks stupid money for them though.

These days you can expect to pay "new bass" prices for an XL bass...the original Brooklyn-made L's are a bit more...and for collectors sake the "transitional" L basses...right after the company moved to Newburgh NY seem to be the most valuable. Bonus points if you have stuff like the original strap, cord, stickers and manuals.

Check out steinbergerworld.com...there's lots of leads to be found there! Just picked up a mint '86 XL-2 myself from bassgear.com. That was a link from the steinbergerworld site.

Good luck! Ain't nothing like a 'berger...this is my3rd. Not letting this one go.

14. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    To get something close to the original, you might consider Status. Andy Y. from the Status Yahoo group has been working with Rob to develop copies of the original Steinberger necks. I'm not sure if Status will just make necks or bodies too. Anyone?

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Because the parts they were selling were old stock found in a Gibson warehouse. They aren't making NEW parts.

A friend had some claws made by a local machine shop. Sure, it cost a ton for the tooling so he had a few dozen made and eBayed most of them.

16. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Just the BO necks.

17. Some people have wrangled a Steinberger-inspired 6-string wide out of them.

Got this pic from the Steinberger Yahoo group. There are more there.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That was a Status designed neck. The one's Andy Y had reproduced by Rob are clones of the original designs, made to Status' build specs

19. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    The musicyo.com Steinberger USA basses are actually nice for the money. The low 'B' is not great, but the 4 string should be fine and at $1500, it's a 'deal'.

The Synapse didn't cut it for me.

The Status Graphite basses are a big step up from even the very fine made in NY XL's (I used NY XL's for 15 years and loved 'em). You save about 20% off European Status prices if sold direct to the US since no VAT is charged. They are VERY easy to deal with internationally.

20. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I wanted a Steinie L series 5 string but had a hard time locating one in good shape for a reasonable price. I got a headless Status Stealth instead. It is the best bass I have ever played. You might want to check one out if you are interested in an all graphite headless bass.:)