Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger balance problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 2, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not really a Steinberger, but an 80's Bradley copy. Not a bad sounding bass. The guys I work with actually dig the sound. But it's off balance. The strap button is mounted on the body, so I have to reach really far out to reach the low notes and I get fatigued. It's got an attachment hole for the pivot plate that Steinbergers have that extends the strap button out farther so it balances better, but that plate is like $250 and I refuse to spend that much for a bass I only paid $75. So does anyone have a solution that doesn't cost a lot of money?

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I think you've got a couple of options. One would be to take the approach that Ned Steinberger did with the new Synapse:

[​IMG]

Add a bar that extends out to where you need it to be and put a strap button or hook at the end. You may have to drill a hole or two in the body of the bass, but you may be able to use at least some existing holes depending on what's there. I did this with one of the fuller bodied XZ Steinberger Spirits because although it's better than the small bodied version, it's still not where I'd want it to be (I'll see if I can find a pic of this).

The other option would be to try and roll your own pivot plate. I'd probably start with a shelf bracket and see if I could put together something that would give pivot plate functionality at the cost of a few bucks.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

found the thread where I attached an early picture of my Steinberger shelf bracket modification:

Here it is

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmm, that's very interesting. Might try that. Thanks for the tip!