Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

steinberger bass, short scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, May 15, 2005.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    Are any of the steinberger basses short of medium scale

any of you guys using a steinberger?

peace,
    david

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I used to have a couple. None of them are short scale, but they are pretty small physically because of the bridge and headless design. They also have narrow string spacing (1/2" vs 3/4") which is nice for small hands.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Not Steinberger, but there were one or two shortscale "clones" of the XL2 type basses in the 80's. Can't remember brands/models ottomh

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    All the original Steinbergers are 34" scale - I play an original Newburgh XM2A. I can't say about the new Synapse line, but it should be easy enough for you to find out the scale.

For a headless bass in 32" scale, check out Status Graphite. I know the Kingbass comes in a 32" version, although it has a "bendwell" extention and uses 34" strings.

One major problem is that double ball strings are only available in 34" scale, so far as I know.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Decent quality string clamps don't slip, at least not on my basses, and allow the use of single ball end strings.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had no luck with the clamps - flats tend to unwind when you cut them. The double ball strings are part of what makes the Steinberger System so good, IMO.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've avoided using the Status string clamp In light of others' experiences. I have a David King 5 banger (36") scale which mandates the use of conventional strings. David manufactures a series of brass cauls in various sizes which can be inserted between the string and screw clamp. They distribute clamp pressure more evenly without flattening the string wrap. I'm not sure if they would work with a Status, though.

Riis

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have basses with both types of Status string clamp: the older 'flat plate' type on my S2000 and the current 'box' type that Status use and show on their website. I've had NO problems with either type slipping or unwrapping with stainless or nickel rounds or flats.

9. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    There was an aluminum neck Kramer in the early 80s called the Duke that was 30 3/4" scale.