1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Oct 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bungalowbill

bungalowbill

Sep 27, 2009
    Nice bass! Some interesting differences with my early transitional XL2 unlined fretless. It does not have a zero fret, although I kinda wish that it did. :) Also different is the finish on the pivot plate. Mine is glossy. Interesting to see the evolution! IMG_2126.jpg IMG_2127.jpg

guti and Fretlessaurus like this.
  2. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    By comparing several stages on production lineups, i've got the impression that in details the gear were in constant evolving modes. Looks like Ned (perhaps not only) intervened ceaseless with new ideas and modifications, from the early L to the late XL must be around a 100 types with plenty a this'n'that in proceeding: sticker vs. print labeling, the two leg rests, first style up to late Zen tuners, different neck-claw types a.s.o. And this is not talking yet the '83 L2-5 up to the late XL5W.
    Over the years i collected a 1000 pics on ... here Ned's kinda real freak out engineering, the fret/fretless lever:
    xm2fl1.jpg xm2fl1.jpg xm2fl2.jpg xm2fl2.jpg xm2fl4.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    sonojono, JIO, Fretlessaurus and 2 others like this.
  3. Be_eM

Be_eM

Jul 27, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    Here's the zero fret on my non-transitional early L2LF:

bm_L2LF_IMG_2119.jpg

That fretted/fretless bass was falsely attributed to Ned in the past. He didn't make it, as far as I remember that was some father/son project of someone else.

Gunga Din and Fretlessaurus like this.
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    That's pretty cool - too bad it wasn't produced but I'm sure there were operational details that were too expensive to resolve for marketing.

5. Nez4

Nez4

Aug 3, 2019
    does it feel strange playing one?

6. If you're asking me, I guess it doesn't really feel any stranger to me than playing any other new instrument that I'm not used to. The lack of a large body isn't really a problem for me, as the leg rest and pivot plate ("boomerang") are well-designed enough to make playing in either a sitting or standing position perfectly comfortable. I'm actually really enjoying the compact dimensions of the XL, and I look forward to being able to fly with it as a carry-on. Since I'm already used to a headless instrument, there's nothing strange about the XL to me in that regard.

The place I feel the biggest difference is beneath my right hand. Compared to my Kubicki Factor, the smaller size of the XL's pickups feels different under my fingers and thumb. The Factor's pickup covers are quite beefy, and extend out past the strings far enough to make good thumb rests. The Factor pickups also have a noticeable radius, which matches the string height above them nicely and provides a comfortable "ramp" beneath my fingers. It's especially nice for playing fast passages over the bridge pickup. I think the XL's string spacing at the bridge might be a touch narrower than the Factor, but it's not extreme.

As for the neck, the XL's neck feels a bit thicker that the Factor's (the depth between the fingerboard surface and the highest point of the neck in profile, not the distance between strings), but the XL's neck isn't uncomfortable, just different. The XL's glossy neck finish results in a bit more thumb drag than the satin finish of the Factor's neck. Also, as I had mentioned in my original post, the XL's fingerboard has a flatter radius than the Factor, which has a more pronounced arch.

7. Nez4

Nez4

Aug 3, 2019
    Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate the info!

Fretlessaurus likes this.
  8. hihat

hihat

Dec 30, 2011
    Interesting you mention this. I have two Steinbergers, an XL2 and an XQ2 both made about 1994. The neck on the XQ2 is really fast. Much faster than the XL2.

I've always thought this was curious. Shouldn't they feel the same?

sonojono likes this.
  9. I'm not familiar with the XQ's neck... perhaps it's a slimmer profile? If they both have a glossy finish, there must be other factors influencing their feel.

10. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    I don't know why Steinberger don't reissue the Spirit with body, ergonomic lightweight and amazing sound....

BergerHead likes this.
  11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    sonojono likes this.
  12. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    My Baby... Steinberger XL2 '84.
    Got the original bridge replaced by a jcustom DB bridge. Otherwise, everything is original and in very good condition ...
    . DSC_1144.JPG DSC_1142.JPG DSC_1145.JPG DSC_1148.JPG DSC_1149.JPG DSC_1144.JPG DSC_1142.JPG DSC_1145.JPG DSC_1148.JPG DSC_1149.JPG

13. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    Love that beast....:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    gigetto, BergerHead and Fretlessaurus like this.
  14. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    @guti, some may mock on, some imagine a "plastic sound" and some will consider it ugly ... fact is, of all my basses the L2-5 has the ultimate cut trough in every combo i play with, want a J/P sound: check, wanna kick off the exorbitant costly F or A basses: check, wanna Jazz, Blues, Root, Rock or Metal: check; theres nothing one would miss from the woodies. Comfy like an old pajama and tuning once after new stringing.

15. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    Haha BegerHead, that's probably true. I love this Steini sound. Versatile and fundamental. The design, the reduction to the essential. Exactly my things. Still looking for the Holy Grail ... XL25w ... :))

BergerHead and Fretlessaurus like this.
  16. I've recently seen a black XL25WUF (unlined fretless), and it's simply stunning. It's almost brutal in its minimalism - form dictated by function, a study in efficiency and understatement. Unfortunately, it's valued at five figures, so it won't be joining my XL2UF in the immediate future! :D

guti likes this.
  17. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    DSC_0010.JPG
    ^^^^ this appeared after a chance call to a local tech.
    It was unable to be tuned up to pitch and needed a couple of claws. After ordering a pair from Gibson and getting nowhere they went to Headless for the right ones. Then they put on a set of GHS Boomers, again without any success.
    I offered to take it apart, have a look and see what I could do. So, after a short wait for some D'addarios and a quick clean and lube of the bridge it tuned up in a snap and while the store got rid of a problem trade-in I got an early XP-2 in excellent condition for a steal. :):):)
    So, out went the Warwick to make room for the Steinberger and I really doubt I'll spend much time ever playing my other basses as long as this guy sticks around.
    My guitar is a Parker Fly so I find the neck pretty familiar feeling and at least there's an ugly cousin to hang with when the the lights go out.

sonojono likes this.
  18. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Is it me or does D’Addario (specifically the NYXL) compliment Steinbergers so perfectly? I’ve been playing GHS exclusively and just recently tried on a set of NYXL DADS. All I can say is WOW, punch galore!

19. guti

guti

Oct 19, 2019
    Dortmund, Germany
    Sonojono, here I go d'accord with you. I also celebrate the D’Addario NYXL strings. Fundermental, long-lasting sound, stabile and brilliant..

20. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    No friend of the GHS neither; i had the chance to get me 5 sets of Steinberger/La Bella .045-.128 for 100$ at the bay. These may hold on for the rest of my playings. 2-3 times a year i boil them out and that's it.

@Roland GR 88: I still own a splendid '93 Warwick Streamer 5 (no LX though) which was my #1 for many long years, but then came the Berger ... somehow too bad to leave the Streamer in the closet, i should sell it.

WarwickStreamer5_zps79d37b72 2.jpg