Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

steinberger flat 5s

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sharp, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    is there anybody who makes flatwounds with the double ball ends for a 5 string bass?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

LaBella and Status-Graphite. SG makes the most variety of Steinberger strings. They even make a black tape wound that is awesome. They can deliver in 7-10 days. I have tried all thier strings and they are very good.

http://www.status-graphite.com/ukus/frames/home2.htm

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I use Status flats on both my Newburgh and MusicYo Steinies - they're great strings.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wow, that's convenient... I scored a Steinberger to take with me on my move to England. I'm going to score me some of those as soon as I get across the pond.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Whatd'ya get? Huh? Huh?

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You've seen this one before, haven't you Heavy? You helped me decide to get it.:D
    [​IMG]

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I forgot - us old guys have that problem...

I love the balance on XMs!

9. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi

I'm looking to try out some Flatwounds on my Steinberger (XT-25)

I've already seen the ones on the Status website - they look good and are a good price.

Can anyone tell me if I can use the Black Nylon strings on a Steinberger? - It says on the website they are for Electro Acoustic basses - does this mean they won't work very well (or at all) on the XT25??

If they are OK to use - do they sound any different to 'normal' strings? are they flat wound or round wound??

I just thought they'd look cool - black strings on a black steiberger..... :D

Any help / advice, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

10. Paul, you can definitely use black nylon strings on a Spirit. In general, all makes of black nylons work with all magnetic pickups, because there is still a metal core in the strings with the nylon wrapped around it.

I have used nylons on both my Spirit XZ-2 and XZ-25, and have ordered a couple new sets from Status for my soon-to-be-delivered fretless XZ-25 (purchased last week from Todd Fortier).

Very good sound, even with the stock EMG Select pickups. I also like the sound with the EMG HBCS pickups I installed on my XZ-2.

11. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Thanks Michael

Are they smooth like flatwounds ?

12. Dang, Paul! I really let this thread, and your question, slide!! My bad...

Yes, the Status nylons are very smooth to the touch, and have a nice flexible rubberiness to them- the tension is quite a bit lower.. to the point where I usually have to loosen my neck a quarter to a half turn to compensate.

Great strings, lots of treble in spite of their construction- or they can also be very dark sounding if rolled off a bit.

13. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    No worries Michael

I tired them out myself, and now I use them on both my basses (my Steinberger and my recently de-fretted Bass Collection)

Loads of people comment on them, both for looks and sound (and they're cheap!!)

Cheers

Paul

14. All the links listed here are bad.

I tried juststrings.com and couldn't find steiny 5 flats. I would prefer D'addario chromes if possible.

15. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Thats because its from 2002! Status still make them, I'm sure chromes dont exist in dball. You have to buy from Status direct, google em.

16. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    FWIW I've tried the Status and the Labella flats on an '80s Steinie- the labellas sounded amazing, old school flaat style but with tons of sustain because of the Steinberger design. The status were very middy and powerful sounding, great for rock, i would think.

I preferred the Labellas by far for reggae, but that's just me.

17. Thanks guys. The Labellas might be the one for me.