Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger fret issues: What can I do?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rojo412, May 30, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Since Steinbergers have phenolic boards, how safe is it to refret or crown (dress) them?
    I have a few buzzing frets and in most cases, I'd rest in the fact that it could be done, but I have heard things about phenolic boards in the past and just wanted to know what the score was.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The general feeling over on SteinbergerWorld is that Steinie necks require a little more care when dressing due both to the materials used and to the lack of trussrod. The gang over there seems to prefer Peekamoose in NYC for this work.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yeah, I noticed that. It's just that it seems a bit steep from what I heard. The guy in Nashville seems a bit more reasonable, but still a bit high.
    Is it unwise to have a good luthier do it? The guy who I take most of my gear to is regarded as the best in Cleveland. Am I still running too much of a risk?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If I trusted him, I'd use him. Has he ever worked with Steinbergers before? I think that's the key.

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I would guess that he has. He's been in the business for a long time, so SOMETHING phenolic has passed through him I'm sure. Also, he's trusted by people with F basses and Foderas and stuff. Also, I bet he's insured for it. If it was just a fret dress, I'd imagine it would be routine, if not, I get a check for another bass.