1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steinberger Geeks..XM2 Content...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottoms_Up!, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Bottoms_Up!

Bottoms_Up! For the record, I don't love Raymond. Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Seller states this bass is from '82. No SN on neck...claims that "early" XM2 'Bergs have the SN inside the heel. More importantly, this looks to be passive.

Any thoughts??

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the XM series didn't come out until the late '80s, and I've never seen or heard of a passive one.

Here's some pics:

DSC00341jpg.
    DSC00342jpg.
    DSC00344jpg.
    DSC00346jpg.
    DSC00348jpg2.
    DSC00349jpg.

What say yous?

2. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Holy smokes! It can't be... Did I stump TB?? Or did I offend with the use of the word "geeks" in the title? I assure you, it was used as a term of endearment. :D

3. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Wow! I'm surprised I didn't run into this while I was searching last Saturday. Thanks!

4. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hmmmmm...EXCELLENT Steiney resource!

Looking through the catalogs would suggest that Steinberger didn't produce the XM until 1986, which definitely shoots the seller's claim of 1982 down. They did however produce passive and active models (XM2 = passive, XM2A = active).

Now for the serial number issue...after a bit of reading, I would bet my bottom dollar that this is a Music-Yo produce XM2 with new-old stock bound body and Moses graphite neck (due to the lack of serial number on the bottom-side heel).

5. Vagabond

Vagabond

Sep 18, 2006
    New York City
    I don't think that the XMs were ever sold on MusicYo. As far as I know, only the XQ (in various string and electronics configurations) and wooden-necked Spirit basses were available from there. As far as your serial number question goes, I want to say that the person told you the right thing but I am not quite sure. There is a Steinberger World group on Yahoo that's affiliated with the site mentioned by gjbassist. I would ask someone there. Those folks are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck!

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I do not believe MusicYo made XM's. They made XQ's and that's it to my knowledge. Do you know for certain that they did?

7. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I read on Steinberger World that Music Yo bought out the rest of the "new old stock" XM2 body (with binding) inventory, so I assumed that they assembled some XM2's. Therefore, I could be completely mistaken.

It could also be an Ed Roman assembly as he seems to have quite the XM2 binded body inventory. That coupled with the fact that he uses Moses necks might explain the lack of a Steinberger serial number on the side of the neck at the heel.

In any case, the bass in question finally sold this morning on eBay for $899. I thought that was a little steep for a non-original Steiney XM2 (passive) with a Moses neck and a non-original case.

Genuine XM2-A's (active) in great condition with the original gig-bag have been hovering around $850 for quite some time now.

8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I HAD one of those about 20 years ago!

Mine had passive controls (V/V/T) but had ACTIVE EMG pickups so mine had a 9 volt in the cavity.

BTW-those knobs dont look right to me. Mine had more cone-shaped knobs with vertically ridged sides and a white stripe in one of the ridges so you'd know where you had the control set.

I'd LOVE to get one of those again! Maybe in 2011!!

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Check with Ed Roman in Vegas

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Thank you, NO!

Ironically enough, though. I DID get my original Steinberger from his old music store. :meh: Go figure.

11. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    HAHAHAHA! My sentiments exactly! I wish he wasn't such an idiot as I would love to buy a couple XM2 bodies and bridges from him.

12. Bottoms_Up!

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yup, same here.

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I have an xm2, it is a non -a version. It still takes a battery.

This is probably a build up of an old stock body, or something out of Ed Roman...

14. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    I am reading this thread with great interest. Here are a few pictures of my XM-2 I found on CL. It has the bound body and neck stamped N12*** whick appears to be correct for Newburgh. However it has EMG select passive pups and the bridge is stamped "licensed by Steinberger" which looks like what they put on all the newer Steinies. I just assumed someone parted it out and sold the body and neck separate. So you guys think this possibly came out of Romans store? I don't see any way it came out of Steinberger this way. The serial number however does show up on the Steinbergerworld website.

100_0830.

100_0831.

100_0832.

15. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Wrong knobs, wrong pickups. Probably just modded. The bridge is interesting not in that it says licensed, just haven't seen one like that. It reminds me of a very early berger bridge, or the ones on those old guild headless basses, though those probably weren't licensed. I have seen people selling bodies and necks on ebay and such, maybe someone built one out of parts? Or I am just completely wrong. I don't think it came out of ER's shop, as he (no offense) probably would have used straight up EMGs to make it look stock-ish.