1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger L2/XL2 Internal Structure

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markorbit, Oct 7, 2010.

1. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I've just been reading an article where Ned talks about the difficulty in installing the EMG SS picks due to their depth. A change of pickup design was implemented at the same time Ned redesigned the L2 into the XL2.

Anybody know if the core Steinberger structural beam was also slimmed at this time to make things easier? Do L2's have a higher centre block? Anybody know?

2. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Might have found the answer here:

Q: Ned - I am curious to know specifically what the design differences were between the original L2 and the XL2. And was it a matter of construction cost or simplification or to improve the sound or some combination thereof? Thanks -- Chris Naim

A: Chris - The XL 2 was developed to streamline the production and looks of the original L 2, and to provide more room for electronics. -- Ned

'More room for electronics' = less Steinberger Blend. Wonder if that has something to do with some folks preferring the sound of L2 over XL2 (apart from pickups).

3. I have not seen the internals of both to compare them, but what you have come up with is essentially the same as what I had heard. I bought my L2 based on an encounter with an XL2, at the time not realizing they were different models. I heard the XL2's owner playing it in a store, and it had the tightest, clearest highs and lows I had ever heard. Very crisp and deep. I was surprised when my L2 arrived and it sounded not at all like that. Mine sounds closer to the proverbial "Jazz bass on steroids" with a strong midrange character.

I have been wondering though if an old set of Alembic pickups I have would fit in it though, just out of curiosity.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021