1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

steinberger pivot plate questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coronado3, Aug 26, 2012.

1. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    I'm in the market for a used steinberger XL2, but in the interim, I picked up a spirit version. I know, I know, its not the same but at least it gives me an idea what the body/neck feels like.

The problem, of course, is the lack of the pivot plate. So, I've set about making one myself and I was wondering if anyone else has tried making a replica of the plate?

Also, would someone with the real deal measure the location on the body where the pivot mounts? From the edge and top shoulder please?

Thanks!
    C3

2. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    an option is the NS Boomerang.. it doesn't directly "fit" steinbergers but can be modified to work.. since your Spirit doesn't have any provision, it could be made to fit..

http://thinkns.com/instruments/systems.php

3. Measuring the position of the pivot place won't help, as the weight of the basses is completely different. I assume it will need to be somewhere completely different.

4. coronado3

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    you might be right but as the spirit is all one material (just as the XL2 is all one material) and shape, wouldn't the balance point be roughly the same?

also if someone would be so kind, could you send me an accurate measurement of the plate itself widest point in both directions as well as the location of the pivot point?

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    To complicate matters there were at least two different pivot plate shapes, slightly different from each other.

I'd try the Boomerang, it's supposed to be more comfortable than the original plate anyway.

6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Actually... not. And as already mentioned, you're looking for a "balance" point... not a measured point. Just put your bass face up on a table. Slide a pencil under it perpendicular to the neck. Roll the bass or the pencil until it seems to "balance" at that particular spot... there's your balance point for your particular instrument. That would be where the pivot point for a boomerang or similar item would attach to the body.

7. P.M., Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

He might or might not be able to help you locate the part you need. He added a steinberger part to his Cort Axe bass to help with balance when using a strap. He had to modd a little to make it work. Would think it might be easier on yours. Anyways he may know where you can get the part you are looking for.

8. coronado3

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    thanks!

9. coronado3

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Made one... Works like a charm!

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bumping up an old thread to ask for details on how you made your pivot plate - I'm thinking about doing the same. Thanks!

11. coronado3

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    The first thing I did was determine the point where the pivot plate would attach. I found a picture of the back of an xl2, blew it up to the same size as my spirit, and measured where its piviot point was and then measured my bass and marked the same point. I then drilled a hole and sunk a threaded insert that I got at menards. I also bought a short round headed bolt that fit the insert, several rubber & metal washers, and 2 short Chicago screws.
    At that point I cut out the picture of the pivot plate, laid it on a sheet of tinted plexi, cut it out on a band saw and drilled the corresponding 3 holes - pivot and 2 strap attachments. After smoothing the edges, I mounted the plate to the body with the bolt. I put 2 of the rubber washers between the body and plate for cushion and resistance. The strap is held on with Chicago screws and washers. That's it!
    I'll see if I have some pix of it...

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Great - thanks!