1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steinberger questions?? Value$$?? Rare???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    There is a person locally selling this Steinberger 5 string bass USA. There is a picture of the serial number and that's all they could find..From the research I've done I've concluded that this is aQ5( I think?) comes with original soft case. Asking $950 , but they will come down to $700 cash. I'm just wondering if this is a good deal? I buy/sell/trade gear, but also have wanted one of these. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Do a quick Google search for “Steinberger Q5” and you’ll see some completed ebay & Reverb transactions pop up.
    The ones I checked out sold between $1200-$2200 just a few years ago.

saabfender and Jsuwinski777 like this.
  3. TrustRod

TrustRod

Mar 13, 2016
    The flat edge on the inside of the horns makes it the first version of that bass, they made a later version with rounder horns that looks more like the Spirit headless. I always wanted one of those and that price seems low and pictures look clean. Snag it!

4. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Is there a way to see completed listings on Reverb? If so that would be very helpful

5. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Can anyone verify this is a Q5? Most of the ones I've seen have a knob under the 3 other knobs

6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I’m unsure of if there’s a way to filter search results on Reverb’s actual site (ala eBay) but completed Reverb listings will pop up in Google searches- just search whatever + “Reverb”

7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    TN WOODMAN likes this.
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Grab it now!!!

I am sure you could flip it for that if you didn't like it. Sounds very reasonable.

I like basses like these because they literally give you a chance to check something out.

A decent price and a bass in decent condition.I

Hit it......

9. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Thats a good deal.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Check the neck relief. These are composite necks sans truss rod so you're stuck with what you've got.

Riis

saabfender likes this.
  11. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    That is a buy it immediately or cry later deal!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    TN WOODMAN likes this.
  12. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    As others have mentioned, that’s a first generation Q5 bass. I had one about 20 years ago.

Random thoughts/memories: They weigh a metric crap-ton. The necks are big and round. Excellent build quality overall: feels like it’s made of stone. Tone-wise I found it kind of blah. I don’t remember it being very distinctive. Some Steinberger nerds would swap out the pickups to Bartolinis to bring out some mid-range grunt. A lot of guys swapped out the (fairly primitive) HAZ preamp for something more modern.

The tuning jaws in those later bridges tended to somehow stretch out. When I got mine, 2 or 3 of the tuners were pretty much maxed out to the point where I couldn’t tune to proper pitch. It took a very expensive trip to Peekamoose NYC to have it rebuild. Even back in the ‘90s a lot of parts were NLA and needed to be custom machined. If the frets are worn, that’s also a fairly significant expense.

Zooberwerx and ajkula66 like this.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    String jaws are (or were) available on the aftermarket, too. The ones I put in my old XM1A were much higher quality than the originals.

14. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    I do have a question about the electronics though.. why is there nothing under this cover?? What are those metal thingies?? Are those for like spare batteries or something?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    yodedude2 likes this.
  15. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Neck is perfect :)

Zooberwerx likes this.
  16. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    It's not for spare batteries - its for your main batteries.
    See this thread to view the proper HAZ-Lab preamp, and the 2nd compartment normally held batteries.

STEINBERGER Q5 V1 electronics

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2018 at 9:35 AM
  17. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Oh wow I see. So is there supposed to be a preamp there? Lol I'm confused.. is it just missing from mine? Did it come with it when they were built?

18. hmmm - yeah at first look that looks sweet for $700.... but is it actually missing the electronics?
    I presume you can plug it in and get a sound but without the preempt I don't know if much will happen?

19. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Yes and both pickups work..

20. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Mine doesn't have ththe HAZ preamp.. just a basic one idk too much about it.. here is a pic of it

Attached Files: