Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger-signed Steinberger

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WalterBush, Jan 24, 2006.

1. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Okay, I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything with the search, so here goes.

Ned Steinberger signed my bass, one of the highlights of the NAMM show for me since I was kept busy too much to just go oggle basses. Now, what substance would I use to coat this permanently without disfiguring the signature?
    [​IMG]

2. regular walmart krylon clear acrylic will do the trick. Are you sure you want to put something on top of your finish?

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Yes, I'm sure. I still plan on gigging with this bass, and I'd prefer not to have Mr. Steinberger's signature erased by my sweaty hands. The finish looks better in the photo than it actually is--it's a dinged-up, faded and dirty-looking white.
    Thanks for the tip, but in the interest of being an informed consumer, I'd still love more suggestions before I head off to Wal-Mart. Any benefits to using CA?

4. What was it signed with ? a Shawh-pee?
    I'd be fearful the solvents in the clear would melt the sig. and possibly not adhere correctly to the base finish.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    try to remember exactly what it was signed with and get one. Then to tests with different clear products on scrap pieces. Good luck.....t

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I have the exact pen it was signed with, because I thought I might end up doing that. I'm hoping someone who has done this before will chime in--as I said before, I can't be the first.

7. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have a collector buddy who protected an autograph on a collectible guitar with some special kind of tape. I'll ping him.

8. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    What if you designed a cool clear pickguard to go over it? ...just a thought.

-Josh

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I eagerly await the answer :) I couldn't fabricate a pickguard--knobs, etc wouldn't fit, and it would involve glueing the finish or putting screws in, neither of which I'm thrilled about. Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I appreciate it.

10. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    He bought a Charvel that was owned by George Lynch of Dokken (appeared on an album cover + possibly some videos). Anyway, Mr. Lynch autographed it for the next owner. Fast forward many years...when my friend bought it, he saw that the autograph was simply covered in clear tape. I asked him about it, and he said it just looked like ordinary clear box tape...lol.

I mean if the guitar itself is collectable, you woudn't want to ruin it by applying clearcoat. I suppose the advantage to the tape is that once you're through gigging with it (on a regular basis) and want to put in a glass case for posterity, you could remove the tape and use mild solvents to remove the glue without ruining the original finish or the autograph.

edit: also the tape is less of an issue for him than it would be for you since on his guitar it's on the back. You might feel the edge of the tape on the front and it might bother you to high hell. Or not.

Thoughts?

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'll look into what solvents would be required to remove boxtape glue--maybe just dish soap? The bass isn't collectable, or at least it wasn't until Mr. Steinberger slapped his sig on it-clearcoat that doesn't start to dissolve the marker would be ideal for me. I won't ever sell this bass, trust me.

I'm going to do an awful lot more research before doing anything in particular, or gigging with the bass. Perfect chance to break in my new 5er and lay off the Steiny for a while :)

12. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region