Steinberger Spirit again...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lasanchorb, Feb 1, 2018.

1. lasanchorb

lasanchorb Inactive

Jan 2, 2018
    Thankfully Gibson decided to give some attention to the neglected brand. I hope it works and that it is not only a desperate attempt to earn any cash possible.

Home

Axstar likes this.
  2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, in my opinion, the entire "Spirit by Steinberger" is pretty much a desperate attempt to earn any cash possible.

I'd cut 'em some slack if they still produced carbon fiber instruments along with a budget-friendly wood instrument line.

The "woodbergers" I've played are entirely decent, but they are NOTHING like an L2/XL2.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  3. rd2rk

rd2rk

Jun 29, 2012
    Colorado
    "Well, in my opinion, the entire "Spirit by Steinberger" is pretty much a desperate attempt to earn any cash possible."
    Or else it's a good faith attempt to satisfy a market demand for a quite decent and unique instrument, and make a few bucks along the way.

"I'd cut 'em some slack if they still produced carbon fiber instruments along with a budget-friendly wood instrument line."
    It'd be a $4000 instrument, and there ain't THAT much demand.

"The "woodbergers" I've played are entirely decent, but they are NOTHING like an L2/XL2."
    When I win the lottery I'll buy an L2/XL2 and get back to ya.....:)

I'm happy (as an owner of both an XT-2 and a GT Pro) to see them back in production. I'm still pi$$ed at Gibson for killing Sonar, but this kind of helps make me feel better. I'm hoping that by "more models coming" they mean the XQ/XM series, and maybe fretless versions?

The older Korean "Woodbergers" were maple neck thru with maple wings. The description of the new ones just says "maple neck" "poplar body". Anybody know if it's still a maple neck thru, but with poplar wings, or is it a maple neck set into a poplar body?

NecroticImbecil likes this.
  4. It's great that they're making them again. I have an L2 4 and a Musicyo era 5 string. Different instruments at different price points. The old "Woodbergers" were solidly built, sounded OK-to-good and stayed in tune for months. Good to have an affordable headless to offset the NS and Kiesel models at the higher end.

Interesting about the construction, I had only seen the item pages on the merchants' web sites which still list them as maple through-neck/maple body. No idea what the new ones are.

It seems like Gibson is doing some cool things with their budget brands. Not so much with the flagship brand.