1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger Spirit Bass strings not centered on neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplar, Jun 26, 2012.

1. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Hey everyone,

Just got a steinberger spirit on a good deal from Musician's Friend. It is the XT-2. I have never had a steinberger, but I am wondering if there is a reason that the strings are slightly offset to the E string side. The E string is the same distance to the edge of the fingerboard from the first fret to the last, but the G string is further from the edge. Is this the norm for these basses? Anyone else with a spirit able to comment? Thanks.

2. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    Only in that the G is smaller, so appears further away from the fretboard's edge?

3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You have still never had a Steinberger. Sorry, but the spirit basses are just poor imitations of the real thing. They just don't work well without the graphite neck.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I've owned my Steinberger XT-2 for years... got it back in the Music Yo days. Just took a look at mine and it does look as though the G string is further from the edge of the fretboard than the E string. As just mentioned... I think it's merely the difference between string gauges. The string center is about the same distance from the edge.

I wouldn't give much thought to it... unless you're finding it a technical problem. I've played mine for years and actually never noticed it before until this post. So just play your bass, and if it feels good... it is. :bassist:

5. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    I'd agree about the real thing being worlds apart in every way.

Far moreso than a squier and a Fender.

Can you post a pic til we see how much a problem it is or isn't?

6. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I checked and The alignment is off based on edge of Fretboard to center of string measurements. I will take some photos tonight. My luthier said not to worry about it too much and that some guitars are like that with the g string usually. That's kind of why I wanted to take a poll of spirit bass owners. Basically this is my practice bass that I keep with me in my car if I get to work early or get stuck out somewhere with some time to squeeze in for practice. Also the first bass I ever bought sight unseen from musicians friend. Typically I would inspect it and play it person.

I would like to try a real steinberger one day.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I don't think it's a huge problem.
    What kind of bridge do you have on there? I could be sitting on the saddle weird, or even the actual saddle could be crooked.

8. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Ah I see.
    I think those bridges can be adjusted left to right. Try that out?

10. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Not sure what the picture is supposed to show :confused:

It's a Steinberger Spirit. It has a Steinberger licensed bridge. What more is needed to describe the bridge :meh:

11. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Nope. Up and down for action. Front to back for intonation. No side to side.

12. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    I meant take a picture of YOUR bridge!!

:)

13. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I took some accurate measurements, and to the OUTSIDE of the E string I measured 10/64", and to the outside of the G string I measures 20/64". Now I know there is a certain amount to be made up by string thicknesses. Here are some photos. I am really thinking about just sending it back because it bothers me. And I want a bass I am happy with even if I am being overly picky.

IMG_0350.

IMG_0349.

Here is a photo showing where 10/64" falls on the neck on the G side.

IMG_0348.

And here is 10/64" on the E side.

IMG_0345.

And the bridge. Not the best photo. But it would have to shift over to the right. Looking at the guitar, it seems to be the neck.

IMG_0342.

Can't see a whole lot with it all being black.

14. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    Thats not right dude, send it back.

The bridge is off-centre.

The spacing is right at the headpiece, but the E appears to narrow slightly towards the bridge.

Send it back, and buy a Synapse til you can afford a real one. Honestly, a far, far better instrument.

Tell ya what, I'll upload a pic of my XL2 and you can compare the spacing

15. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    berger2.

16. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    XL2.

17. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    Well, what did you do?

18. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    After seeing your bass and the other comments on here, I returned it to musicians friend. I will say this, I am really impressed with their customer service and I would not hesitate to order from them, but I am not impressed with the QC of Gibson on this bass. Sorry, but I don't consider a $420 regularly priced bass to be exactly an el cheapo. It should at least be reasonably straight. Fortunately for me I knew it seemed wrong, but I would not have known this as a newer player.

I ended up landing an ebay auction for a Aria Sonsido bass which I am excited about getting. It should be a better fit for my practicing too. I just liked how sturdy the Spirit was.

That being said, I have a 1998 Fender Deluxe Fat Strat I never play, and I found a shop that will take it in on a trade, so maybe I will trade for a Musicman or Steinberger. Not a Spirit though.