Steinberger Spirit basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Radiobass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Sorry if this has been done before, but I didn't find anything regarding this, so...

Have any of you played one? How do they sound and feel? Are they worth the price?
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I'm amazed you didn't find anything but . . .

Played one? I currently have 2, an XZ-2db and an XZ-25. I've had XTs and other XZs in the past.

How do they sound? Pretty much like any other bass with EMG Selects. Decent growl, kind of throaty. 2 pickups so you can get warmer neck pickup sounds or more nasal bridge pickups sounds (I'm a neck pickup guy regardless of pickup types). The zero fret is a nice touch and the bridge is solid. The sustain is pretty good (but not as good as my G&Ls).

How do they feel? The XZs have satin finished necks that feel great to me. The 5ers are only 1-5/8" wide at the nut so very narrow. The basses vary in weight but tend to be "light" and it's great to have something so compact. The XTs have painted necks (not my thing). Both types end up with the neck farther out to the left (for a righty) than "normal" - it's worst with the XTs but even the XZs are smaller bodied (compared to a "normal" P or J style bass). That can make for a longer reach to the first fret than usual which may bug you (it bugs me). The XTs are neck heavy because of the design and location of the strap buttons. I put an extra strap button like 1/2 way up the XZ body to get it to hang where I like.

Are they worth the money? I think so. Although if you are patient they often had them on sale in the past and you could save a few bucks. There's a possibility, according to the Steinberger Yahoo group leader who's in touch with them, that they may move the Spirits out of direct/MusicYo sales and into other distribution methods (MF) like they did with the Tobias basses that were on MY. I think the prices would probably go up if that happened.

Oh yeah, you can often sell them on ebay for almost as much as you paid for them if you get them on sale or used
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Craig, how's the XZ-25 width at the bridge? Can you say how it compares to a SR5, which is a bit tighter than most?

I couldn't find dimensions at MusicYo beyond the nut.
  4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

It's pretty darn narrow, I'll get out a ruler when I get home tonight or over the weekend.
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

OK, XZ-25 at the bridge:

outside-outside 2-5/8"
    center-center 2-17/32"

string to string (ctr to ctr) looks like 5/8"

These are with a tape measure (the best thing I had) so my accuracy is probably not the best.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow - that *is* tight! People bitch about the SR5 (not me), and that runs 1.75" at the nut and 2.75" at the last fret.

I was wondering because I'm slowly replacing my fours with fives, and I thought that a XZ-25 might make a good replacement for my XZ-2. I'm not so sure now.