Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger Spirit Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ItchyBass, Mar 23, 2002.

1. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I just recently purchased a Steinberger Spirit XT-2 bass from MusicYo for $269.00, and I have to say that it is one hell of a little bass (literally) for the price. A friend of mine has an original graphite neck Steinberger XQ bass, and told me not to bother with the Spirits as they were junk… Well sure, compared to his $1000 bass, this thing does not stand a chance. But for a really inexpensive 2nd bass (or 4th, as it was in my case), this little thing (again, literally) rocks!

If you are looking for a second bass and something with a little bit of style (or lack there of, depending upon your opinion), check one of these little baby’s (again… lit- never mind, that is getting old). MusicYo has a 90 satisfaction guarantee, so if it just does not hack it, you can return it. Granted, it is a little funky to play if you are not used to the headless neck (you really have to reach for the lower frets), but plays well, right out of the box. I am not returning mine… I will probably rip out the EMG Selects and drop in some of the active EMGs, but I guess that is just a testament to how impressed I was with this little (sorry, I am going to say it again… LITTERALLY) boogar!

$269.00! Hell of a deal in my book.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I want a 5er dammit! Why, oh why am I always broke?

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I am planning on getting one of those in the near future. I still can't belirve the price they get for those if half of what people say about the is true.
    How are the pickups? I have heard that they are alright from some souces to they are hidious from others whats your opinion?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They are neat. I almost bought one, until I found this:

[​IMG]

5. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Skorzen,

The pickups are alright. I am a fan of active electronics personally. That is why I am destined to rip out the EMG Selects and put in active EMGs. But I won't be running down to GC tomorrow... they will definitely do for now.

Due to the lack of mass of the XT I would say that the passive electronics do quite well. They have a lot of midrange, and pull out quite a bit of lowend, concidering what they are working with. I'd give them an 8. And for $269... 8 ain't bad!

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have spirit bass.. don't use it much anymore.. but The pups are ok.. I would recommend changing them out however, I could never get the tone i wanted from them.. it always just sound kind of bland.... and if you want to change the pickups, prepare to do some routing... but its still a cool bass.