Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STEINBERGER SPIRIT BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, Mar 22, 2003.

1. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I recently had a lower back injury and will need to lighten up my bass weight considerably.

I messed around on a new Steinberger 4 string and it was sweet. So incredibly light and it sounded pretty nice. My back was very happy and can't deal with my heavy SX J bass anymore.

Anyone have any opinions (pro or con) on these Steinberger basses from MusicYo.com? That's the only place I've found to get them. There is even a 5 string that I'm considering. The price is right.:D

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have three of them - a XT2, a XT2 I defretted, and a XZ2. All are very nicely made and play well. The hardware is high quality - not as good as a USA Steinberger, but still very nice. I highly recommend them!

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I owned a 5 for a brief period.

I second Heavyduty's opinion.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a defretted 5, and the only caveat I'd offer is that because of the shape, first position is quite a reach...

It's way out there, and I find these basses tend to hang differently than most. You might have to adjust your strap or hand positions.

I'm still looking for one of those strap extender dingus-type things like the 'real' steinies had...

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    FWIW, I've found my "conventional" XM2A and Spirit ZX2 to have a more normal first position reach...

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a fretless 5 Spirit, and I love it. I couldn't deal with the balance issue, so I installed a metal extension and attach my strap to that. Now it balances fine and it is much easier to reach 1st position.

7. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

That bass felt and sounded good to me so I'm not the only one!

Anyone have any of those Steinberger knockoff's?

8. I'm looking for a fretless 5 to purchase in the summer and had looked at the steinberg spirit XZ-25 - low price, good reviews, characterful and with a 'proper' body

However, I had heard that the necks tended towards the 'baseball bat' end of things (thick from front to back) which put me off.

Is this true?

I've played 'chubby' necks on guitars and they are ok, but not ideal.

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Magman, my Spirit definitely has a chunky neck. The string spacing is pretty tight, but the neck is thick back-to-front. I usually like thinner necks, but for some reason, I really like this one. The gloss paint is a little sticky, too.

10. mmm..... sticky gloss finish as well.... I prefer a light satin finish.

11. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I was looking around the net and found that Hohner makes a Steinberger clone. They look ok.

Has anyone played one of them?

12. I've got one- the B2A 4string model. I'm convinced they're the same as the Steinberger Spirit XT2.
    (same licenced steinberger bridge, EMG slect p/ups, an switchable active circuit)

the neck is J bass width- 38mm.
    the bridge spacing is quite tight.
    balance is okay on a strap, and seated too.
    mine's an old one, and I had to replace the tuning mechanism string grabber blocks.

13. i use the fretless 5 as a backup.

great bass. great sound. perfect for back problems.

the reach thing could get to be an issue with your back, so i would like to make a quick recomandation... try to hunt down one of those goofy X straps... i don't know the brand that makes these, but they go over both shoulders... damn, i'm probably doing a terrible job describing these things. if you've ever seen an accordian player up close (plug your nose) look at the strap they use, it's kinda like that. it will help with the wierd balance on these basses, and probably help spread the minimal weight of the bass across your entire back.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I purchased one just to take on the plane on business trips about two years ago. I was pleasantly suprised by the sound.

Unfortunately, the balance was way off, so much that it caused me to sell the bass. When using a strap, it wanted to lean forward such that the E string side was tilted outward more than the G string side. I had the rectangular-shaped model, don't know if the full-bodied musicyo versions suffer from this problem, but I'd doubt it.

15. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    The one I played didn't have a strap on it, so I played sitting down. I didn't consider the balance. I guess if it tilts forward, I could just reposition the strap peg more toward the E string (or B on the 5).

I'm leaning towards getting the white 5 string. It's only $20 more than the 4 string from MusicYo and I've been wanting that low B for a while. Might as well go for it!

Playing gigs will be even more fun now that I won't have to worry about some stage diver knocking the tuning pegs in the middle of a song! Plus the size will make it easier to play on those coffee table sized stages!! (I'm sure most of you are familiar with that!!) :bassist:

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree with the others in that it hangs off a strap funny. The first fret is also a little farther than I am used to. Anyway, I use it as a backup because it's real easy to carry. Rather can carry some full size backup bass that will more than likely stay in the bag for the gig, I bring the Steinberger. The gig bag for the Steinberger looks like a rifle case you you might get some funny looks. Out here in the DC area, I had many funny looks when I was out with it while the Sniper was on the loose. Has anyone in places with tight gun control like the UK had any hassles due to the appearance of the gig bag?

The Spirits are definitely not as nice as the original Steinbergers. The original ones had graphite necks, EMG electronics, etc.. But, the Spirits are definitely adequate. I like the tone, and they play well sitting down. Playing it standing up is a different issue.

17. occasionally in the past I've got some funny looks when I've carried it on the train.

now, however, there's a hole in the end of the gigbag, and the zip doesn't work (I have to wrap the carrying strap round it), so it's fairly clear it's a guitar of some sort and not a gun.....

ps. here's an mp3 clip of mine, probably not the best example, but you might find it amusing;
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=884113

18. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    This is how I dealt with the neck-dive issue:[​IMG]

19. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    :eek: :eek:

Yow, it's Godzillabass!! OK, help me out... I followed Brad Johnson's directions from Misc., so why did it come out so BIG?:mad:

20. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Hey Monkey,
    That looks pretty interesting. I wonder if the company ever considered offering that as an option? Maybe I'll have to do that if I really can't deal with the neck dive.

Where did you get that from? Is it homemade? :)