Steinberger Spirit Shelf Bracket modification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, May 16, 2005.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

After reading of other folks use of a shelf bracket as a strap button extender I decided to try it out myself. This is my poor, abused XZ-2db with the bracket attached. I put it "upside down" to try and use the lip of the bracket to catch a strap or attachment of some sort (it's not big enough and doesn't work very well at that angle).

While it does move the strap button out it doesn't sit quite the same as a bass with the body out to that point would. So it's not quite what I had hoped for when I put it on there. I'm going to give it a week of tryout and see if it stays or I just go back to using the additional strap button on the back. If it stays I'll have to either paint it black or wrap it with electrical tape to make it less obtrusive.

I need to find some small stickers to cover up the holes from previous experiments on this poor thing (just to keep the finish from chipping any more around the holes).

Attached Files:

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Well the first practice session (around 45-60 minutes) has me thinking better of it. It definitely puts the bass in a better position than the extra strap button on the body does. The single bracket is a touch flimsy (it will deflect with the pull of the strap, but only in the way you'd expect based on its shape) but I bought 2 (hey, they are only 98 cents) and will double it up with some epoxy if it stays.

Right now it's heading towards staying and getting me to find an XZ-25 to add this modification to.

I do need to find a better way to attach the strap. I'm thinking about just drilling a single hole and attaching a straplock button. That seems like the way to attach one with the smallest hole in the bracket. I'm just thinking a cap nut sticking out might be a hazard waiting to happen (not that having a long piece of metal sticking out like this isn't questionable to begin with).

More in a week . . .
  3. Thought I'd bump this post so I could ask a ?. I saw a sting here awhile by by a gentleman with a headless who modified it with a strap extender. I can't howerver find the origninal sring now. Can anybody provide me with a link or PM me?

4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Do you mean using the Synapse S/E which you can get as a spare from Musicyo for $US26, or my $2 slightly aesthetically challenged hardware store version?
  5. I'm very interested in what you did. I've searched for your original string which I recall reading. I've got a pic of the peice but I'm not sure what it is in "Hardware Store" terms. Any insight would be great. :hyper:
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    My camera isn't here, so I can't do pix.

At my local HW, I found some flat L shaped brakets made from steel plate for shelves. Thet were about 12" x 5" long, about 3/4' wide and the sheet thickness was 3/8 or so. They had lots of holes drilled in them.

I found the balance point on the bass where a pivot plate would be best, a la my XL2. I then experimented with dome duct tape so that the long side of the bracket ran parallel to the neck, up to near fret 12/13. The short side stuck up above the body near the neck p/u. I bolted a strap pin on each end of the bracket, attached a strap, then fiddled until I got a similar balanced standing playing position to my XL2. When happy, I painted it black and attached it to the bass with screws.

You can cut the bracket to get the strap pins in the correct position for you, and/or bend them a bit to fit your body.

HTH. Will do a pic sometime, but don't hold your breath.
  7. Thanks, that is a big help. Part. in the hardware description side.

I'm attaching a pic I found here or on line of what looks like what you did. It is from the Stick.

8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Close, but instead of the right hand side attaching to the body, it was to the other end of the L bracket.

Here's a pic of my XL2 Boomerang to give an idea of what I'm trying to simulate. Make it THE most comfortable instrument ever.