Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger spirit xt-2... should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 25, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I need a light bass. I am thinking maybe i should get a steinberger spirit xt-2. I hear they dont sound the greatest, but maybe with a pickup upgrade it would be fine.

Things I would like to know:

- do these basses balance properly?

- Is the reach to the neck (F on the e string for example) the same as a regular bass? I have heard that the reach is a little longer, but I would like to get more opinions as I have only heard this once.

-this bass has EMG selects. What is a quality pickup I could replace these with? I prefer a passive , vintage sounding pickup

- are there other similar basses that have better sounding pickups?

- Do lighter basses exist? (which arent crazy expensive)

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Not really. The neck end strap pin is down somewnere near the 20th fret rather than around the twelth. However two screws and a small strip of steel or al bar will remedy thet. I've written about it here before, so do a search, or ask and I'll type it again.

Nope. For the same reasons as above,

I'd say Villex, as that's what will eventually be in my Hohner B2ABD (providing they're better than the Status pups in there now), but they're not quite vintage sounding. IIRC the pickups are EMG35 size, so there should be a few other options.

"Better" is so subjective, I have no idea what it actually means to you. I've tried Schaller Bassbuckers, EMG35DC and Status 2003 series in mine so far. They all sound good, just different.

I weighed all my basses recently when I got a new set of scales, and IIRC, my Peavey Dynabass Unity (Koa) was a fraction lighter than the Hohner. Doesn't mean you'd like it better though.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    can I ask how much your stein/hohner weigh?

of these light basses which one(s) do you prefer & why?

thanks!:)

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'll agree with much of what Dharma says. I used to own a Steinberger XT-2 that I used to bring with me as a spare for gigs. The playability is fine, and I liked the tone. The big problem with it is that it did not balance properly when I strapped it on. I found myself constantly shifting the bass to the left to get it to sit in a comfortable playing position. It's a little better when sitting down, but it didn't feel right there either. Also it seemed that the fret positions where shifted outward. The 12th fret was where I would normally expect the 9th. When I played the lower frets, my left arm reached out further than it was accustomed to. In the end I sold it, and now bring a "fulll sized" spare to gigs.

That doesn't mean it won't bode well for you. I think that someone who is taller with longer arms might find this bass more comfortable. But for me, even though it was light and compact, the Steinberger was not a comfortable bass to play. For this bass, I strongly recommend playing one first. The bass doesn't suit all body types.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Interesting. I am 6 feet tall so perhaps my arms would be long enough to play it combfortably.

It would be very difficult to find one of these to try out locally.

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Well if I remember correctly, my wingspan is 32 - 34".

If you span is at least 4-6 inches more than that, the bass may be comfortable for you. If a regular bass feels like you're scrunched in, then it may fit you nicely. It's not that the bass is longer, it just feels like the frets are shifted over 2-3 inches from where I expect them to be.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    My Steinberger XL2 (graphite) weighs 4.2kg / 9.25lb and my Hohner B2ADB weighs 3kg / 6.61lb. I prefer to play the Steinberger because I like the feel and the tone better, but the Hohner with the Status pups isn't 'worse' just different feeling and sounding.

The reach/balance issue may not end up being a problem for you, if you're willing to drill a couple of holes in the back of it. Above I mentioned that the reach and balance issues were due to the placement of the neck end strap pin. If you get a length of flat steel or al bar and screw it into the back of the bass, perhaps using the original strap pin hole for one screw, and having the 'outer' end extend up to about where the 12th fret is and place the neck strap pin there, the bass will balance more like most basses. With a small amount of time and experimentation, you can get the balance exactly right for you. Paint the bar black (or whatever) so that it's not all that obvious in use. Steinberger use this method for both the new Synapse bass and the Chapman/NS Stick. Works very well and costs about $2 and an hour or so.

You can see the extension bar poking out above the neck on the Synapse in this pic and a pic of the NS Stick strap hanger is attached.

Upside is you get a good, cheap, small, lightweight bass that now balances the way you want it and the downside is an extra hole in the back.

8. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I was considering doing what Dharma did when I had my Steinberger, but the reason why I sold it was because it didn't balance right on my lap either. The frets still felt like they were shifted over. Obviously, we're all shaped differently, so it may rest on someones lap better than mine.

9. I have a(poorly)defretted Hohner/Steinie 4- I'm 6'2" & have all the same fit/reach/balance gripes already mentioned. I also borrowed a 5 string version which had been modded w/a strap button relocater-thingie, which put the 'forward' button 4-5" closer to the nut than before. This did not really improve matters, AND it was a heavy POS as well. :spit:

10. Vegan, did you ever get a Spirit?

11. FredonBass

FredonBass

Nov 26, 2009
    You can make the XT2 fit right by anding the strap hook which you can buy at Musician's Friend SKU #36990000000000.
    That's the sku number for it. I took the the strap holder by the neck of and screwed in the hook. You will need to drill a small hole for the second screw hole.
    This hook is metal and places the bass exactly where it should be. I hardly play any of my other basses since I did this.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Nope. I know this thread is pretty close to 7 years old... I got my Stambaugh about 2 years ago. Its light and balances better than any other bass I've tried.