1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steinberger Spirit XT-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hello, one and all.

I saw the "Rush-Chronicles" DVD and saw Geddy playing this weird looking bass. I did some research, and fell in love. This bass looks incredible! I also saw a post that said "This is great for a second bass" My music teacher always talks about how "the universe sends him guitars" ie: a $25,000 56'(?) Strat, Which, he cried when he played in the class.

Well, i take that quote as the universe sending me a bass, as this will be my second bass, and it's everything i'm looking for. I was just wondering if anybody ones one of these, and if they can tell me the positive and negative aspects of this little 300 dollar bass?
    Thank you!

Mark

2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    about 2 years ago i picked up the five sting version- the xt25. for what it is i really couldn't be happier. i bought it mainly as a travel bass, something keep handy if inspiration ever strikes, and at times the perfect small backup. i bought mine from musicyo, and although the finish is perfect, i noticed that the factory didn't put in one of the screws on one of the pickup rings; nothing major but enough to slightly dietract from an otherwise great set-up. the rest of the set-up from the factory was actually pretty good, nice and low with no buzz. the strings didn't have a feel i liked and i replaced them with a set from ken smith, and it made a huge imporovement in both feel and sound. the neck reminds me of a spector, although i think the string spacing is just a touch tighter; but this is only from memory and i could be wrong. i don't like vol/vol/tone setup's, and one day may re-wire it, but overall the tone is one i really like. i am very impressed with the bridge pickup, i usually play primarily with the neck solo'd or just a touch or bridge, but that back pickup just sounds alot fuller than most other passive basses i've played. i also really don't care for emg's but i find these do the job really well. the only real downside to the electronics is the amount of volume it actually controls, only about the upper 15% seems to control the pickup, after that any change is not noticeable. the gigbag isn't the thickest, but does its job and is free, so i guess i can't complian. other than geddy i know jeordie white is playing one with perfect circle; it is definetely a capable bass, especially one in the $300 price range.