Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger Spirit XT-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hello, one and all.

I saw the "Rush-Chronicles" DVD and saw Geddy playing this weird looking bass. I did some research, and fell in love. This bass looks incredible! I also saw a post that said "This is great for a second bass" My music teacher always talks about how "the universe sends him guitars" ie: a $25,000 56'(?) Strat, Which, he cried when he played in the class.

Well, i take that quote as the universe sending me a bass, as this will be my second bass, and it's everything i'm looking for. I was just wondering if anybody ones one of these, and if they can tell me the positive and negative aspects of this little 300 dollar bass?
    Thank you!

Mark

2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    about 2 years ago i picked up the five sting version- the xt25. for what it is i really couldn't be happier. i bought it mainly as a travel bass, something keep handy if inspiration ever strikes, and at times the perfect small backup. i bought mine from musicyo, and although the finish is perfect, i noticed that the factory didn't put in one of the screws on one of the pickup rings; nothing major but enough to slightly dietract from an otherwise great set-up. the rest of the set-up from the factory was actually pretty good, nice and low with no buzz. the strings didn't have a feel i liked and i replaced them with a set from ken smith, and it made a huge imporovement in both feel and sound. the neck reminds me of a spector, although i think the string spacing is just a touch tighter; but this is only from memory and i could be wrong. i don't like vol/vol/tone setup's, and one day may re-wire it, but overall the tone is one i really like. i am very impressed with the bridge pickup, i usually play primarily with the neck solo'd or just a touch or bridge, but that back pickup just sounds alot fuller than most other passive basses i've played. i also really don't care for emg's but i find these do the job really well. the only real downside to the electronics is the amount of volume it actually controls, only about the upper 15% seems to control the pickup, after that any change is not noticeable. the gigbag isn't the thickest, but does its job and is free, so i guess i can't complian. other than geddy i know jeordie white is playing one with perfect circle; it is definetely a capable bass, especially one in the $300 price range.