Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger spirit XT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Nov 14, 2000.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have or have played the newer steinberger spirit basses? (check musicyo.com). Are they decent basses or crappy? I'm looking for a portable bass the plays and sounds ok and will travel easily. Thanks

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    tried a used one the other day and found out why the owner sold it: it sucked.

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've owned two of them (an XT-2 and an XT-25) at different times. I found the construction to be good and the sound to be blah (I personally describe the sound of EMG selects as "metallic" and don't like them much). It is very portable and if you don't expect it to be super quality and great sounding you won't be disappointed. The B-string on the 5 was good enough that I no longer think I can never be happy with a 34" scale B. I sold the XT-2 to replace it with the XT-25 and later sold the XT-25 because I found it uncomfortable to play (a personal problem with 5-strings). I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again - I think for a portable bass you can't beat it (unless you could locate one of the real graphite composite ones but it would be a lot more expensive).