1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steinberger Spirit XZ25F?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldfclefer, Apr 15, 2006.

1. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    [​IMG]

All I know is I saw it in a Sam Ash.

I've been gassin'

I'm thinking 5er or fretless, I dunno.

I thought this one looked interesting.

It's a 5er and a fretless.

Played it.

Liked it.

Traded my Longhorn for it (with some boot of course).

They just called it a Steinberger Fretless 5string.

I gather it's a Gibson Steinberger.

I think it's an XZ25F.

ser# says it's an '02.

It's a cheapy I know, but the reviews I'm reading are like "pleasantly surprised" for the $ etc.

I've also read that they were discontinued as fretless in '04.

I really like it.

Is it worth keeping?

Am I right about what it is?

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Hope you did not pay much.....I think they go for $300 new on Musicyo.com

I had a fretted one a while back. Good solid bass. I mainly got it 1) it was cheap 2) I could throw it in my trunk and not worry about. I also used on some outdoor gigs were I humidity was a bit too high for my main basses. The sound of mine was ok, nothing to write home about, but it was solid and well built. The one big downside is the selection of strings for those double-ball type basses.

I ended up trading it in for a Fender Standard Jazz bass. The funny thing was Sam Ash gave me more than I paid for!! Talk about a good deal!

3. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Well I read that they don'y make them in a fretless any more.

I've never played fretless, but when I picked this one up, I played it like it has frets.

I like it so I brought it home.

Like I wrote, I traded my Longhorn for this bass and some boot.
    Longhorn's long since paid for itself.
    No $ in it.

4. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey Oldclefer- welcome to the Spirit club on TB!

I have an XZ-25 fretless myself, very similar to yours, in honeyburst.

When set up properly, with good Status Graphite flats, or halfwound, the XZs are a great playing, very good sounding bass. I use mine quite often.

I also have an XZ-2 fretted and an XZ-25 fretless.

What you've said regarding the availability of the fretless Spirits is correct. 2002 was the last year that MusicYo (MY) sold them.

Availability of strings is not an issue, unless one wants to go down to the local music store and get them.. then it would be. Ordering strings from Status Graphite, arguably the best double-ball strings on the market, is painless and reasonably fast. I've tried all the SG strings and had good results.

Also, are you aware of the string adapter, which you can get from MY, that allows the use of standard, single ball strings?

5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks Michael.
    If you look closely, you'll see the string adapter at the end of the neck. This one also has a hardshell case.

I checked every local music shop and could only find roundwounds for 5ers. That's what I have on it now.

It sure is a lot of fun to play.

Whoever had it before had put flats on it but the G was round and the B was really an E (.100 or so).

Anyway, could you hook me up with a link for strings?

Thanks

6. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame4.htm

Go into Online Shop, and then Strings. Click the button at the top for double-ball strings, and buy away!

Let Rob Green know that I referred you, if you would. I've bought quite a few strings from him since 2002.

It usually takes about 7-9 days to get your package, and it's well worth the wait.

For your fretless, I'd suggest either the flatwounds, or better still, the halfwounds for a bit brighter, livelier tone. The flats capture a certain upright vibe. The nylon tapewounds are unusual- very bright.. with a sharp treble edge. I like the halfwounds better.

Let me know if you have any other Spirit questions. I've played them for years, and love 'em!

7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks again Michael.