Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger 'Spirit'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaBone, Jul 4, 2000.

1. LaBone

LaBone

Jul 3, 2000
    I just got a Steinberger Spirit, and was wondering if anyone thinks I did
    good, or effed up. All you slappers and pluckers give me some input.

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I recently got a 5-string fretless Spirit as a backup bass and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds. I have two good quality basses and wanted the Spirit for jams, practices, etc. The neck is meaty, but it feels good and has good action. The output is lower than my other passive bass, but the pickups sound good. The body style takes a little getting used to, but I like the bass much more than I expected to, and it was dirt cheap.

3. LaBone

LaBone

Jul 3, 2000
    Yea, I got mine at MusicYo.com for $229.00. A steal considering the only difference is a wood body instead of resin.
    The pickups and pots are very acceptable, and the action is great, but I need to adjust the intonation a bit, whoever slapped it together was def-
    inately not into fine tuning.
    I used to have a Kramer 'Duke', a Steinberger copy, that came with DiMar-
    zio pickups, Schaller machineheads, and Gibson speed knobs, but it was rip-
    ped off at a gig and never found. One of the best playing basses I ever had.
    If anyone knows where one is for sale, let me know.
    'Bone
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Changes aren't permanent, but Change is..." *Neal Peart

4. Rushfan

Rushfan

Mar 29, 2000
    I bought one from Musicyo too. I got the XZ-2 its the same thing but it has a more traditional body style instead of the paddle shape. I was impressed with what I got for the money I spent. I've heard complaints about the pickups but I like the sound I get from them. They say that once you tune it it never has to be tuned again till you change the strings. Thats not true with mine it has to be retuned maybe not as often as my other bass though. (I'm not complaining about it but I was wondering if you 2 had the same experience).

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I've had to tweak my tuners a bit, but who cares? I never thought of that as being a big plus. It takes 5 seconds to tune up, and strings have to settle in, etc. I couldn't care less about that "feature" of the bass, really.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I just modified my Spirit, and it works much better now. I was having problems with the balance. The bass was way neck heavy, which is weird, considering it has no headstock. I liked the sound and the convenience, but the balance really bothered me, and made my shoulder sore. I routed out a little bit of the wood on the upper bout, and installed a piece of metal that goes out to about the 15th fret, and has a strap button on it. I painted the metal thing black, and you really don't notice it from the front. The bass balances perfectly now! I never feel like a bass is really mine until I carve it up a bit...