1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger Spirit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Oct 2, 2008.

1. bump

:atoz:

2. help!!

:atoz::atoz:

3. I play 2 Spirits and have a Hohner version.

I got into these by chance after picking up a older Steinberger Spirit. I thought they all sounded this way and bought a Hohner. It wasn't even close. But that is not because of the Brand, it just happens to be that chunk of laminated maple on the Spirit is really nice -or- the the maple in that particular Hohner just didn't have any tonal quality.

It could go either way... I tend to prefer Spirits over Hohner's but for no logical reason.

4. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    ive never used this term before...
    ..but i am really GASing for a steinberger. i thought i was set...i guess this means im truly a bassist?

5. welcome to the perma-gassing club we get jackets next week :D

6. i guess i wasnt clear enough before
    i am more interested in the tone then anything else
    does it still "sound" like a 'berger?
    :help:
    :atoz::atoz::atoz:

7. terryfunk4life

terryfunk4life

Nov 26, 2007
    I would like to know this too

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    OK.
    We(my son and I) have access to both here.
    I've an XL and a silver wooden Spiritberger(XL body clone).
    He's got(and loves) a white 5 string wooden Spiritberger.
    They do(IMO) sound better than the Hohners that have passed thru here.

Will it sound like a "berger"?
    It will sound like a neck-thru wooden BERGER.
    This sound is very good.
    It will not and cannot sound like the synthetic-bodied XL series because it is made of wood and has different pickups.
    It does have a unique sound AND can also imitate other basses.
    NO wooden bass(IMO) can sound exactly like the synthetic-bodied bergers with the primary differences:
    1) ALL notes on the XL have the same fullness of tone at every fret
    2) The XL has a unique, clear voice. I like it, some call it "sterile"
    3) Sustain on the XL exceeds 99.9999% of all wood basses and on every fret

For # 3, the closest bass I've played that sustains(duration) close to the XL is a Greco GOB 1200(Alembic clone, loaded with brass) that weighs in at probably 12 or more pounds.

Hope this helps.

Here is Nick Ferber using an XL(SN xxx) I bought from him after The Sheiks "retired"(I no longer have this one). You will hear what an XL sounds like on some parts.
    NSFW Language Warning!

9. thank you this is the advice i was looking for

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Last spring I acquired a 5 string Steinberger Spirit bass that someone had already defretted. I have owned several Steinbergers, including a 4-string XL-2, a 5-string Synapse, and a 4-string Spirit. I like Spirit best because they have a more natural tone being made of wood, they're lighter, and there is more space between strings--almost like a Fender jazz, which is my main bass so muscle memory is familiar. I modified the 4-string Spriit with custom active EMG pickups and it sounded almost the same as a classic Steinberger, sustain that lasted forever, robust bass, but kind of cold and sterile. An "80s" kind of tone. My goal was to give the 5-string Spirit a woody, upright-like tone.

To compliment the fretless, I installed new passive pickups: a Bartolini 72M45C-B on the neck and a Bartolini 72M45C-T on the bridge. These pickups have an EMG 40 shape so only minor routing was required to slightly lengthen both ends of each pickup cavity. The Bartolini pickups are dual coil humbuckers that provide a deep tone, adding warmth to the naturally bright tone of an all-maple body/neck.

I also installed an active Bartolini 3.4 Preamp. A single 9-volt battery compartment was routed into the back to power the preamp. The preamp provides sweepable mid-range adjustments for substantial flexibilty in dialing in tone.

Finally, I installed Status Graphite black nylon tapewound strings.

I got my upright tone with this configuration. I was surprised to find the bass can also sound like Jaco. Startled me when that sound jumped out!

Moral of this story: think outside the box with Steinberger Spirits. In addition to their useful form factor, you can really stretch their tone in a lot of directions depending on electronics and strings. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Zorker

Zorker

Oct 27, 2009
    What happened to the Sheiks personnel? What is the bass Neck Ferber is using in the videos above? They played where I worked in eary '75 and he played a Cherry Gibson EB.