1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger Spirit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DoughBoy1917, Apr 23, 2010.

1. DoughBoy1917

DoughBoy1917

Mar 15, 2010
    Since forever, I've been fascinated with Steinbergers.

But there is simply no where to go to find one to play.

Has anyone here ever actually played a modern Steinberger Spirit? I hear they suffer from balance problems, because of the lack of the headstock and what not.

Playablillity is more important to me than sound, as sound can be altered, but if the thing is lousy to play you can't really address it.

As a reference, I love Fender Jazz bass necks.

Thanks...

2. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    The lack of headstock actually gives them an amazing balance.I had a 5 string Spirit and it was an extremely nice instrument for the money,very well made and good sounding...i only sold it cuz it was a fretless and it didn't work for me.

3. DoughBoy1917

DoughBoy1917

Mar 15, 2010
    Interesting.

What about the neck? Would you say it was "fast"?

And where did you demo one? I can't find a store that carries them.

4. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    It's been a while since I had it but IIRC the neck was pretty comfortable,a bit thicker than an Ibanez if I have to make a comparison...I was able to find mine in the back of a music store here,so I really don't know where you'd be able to find one to try I'm afraid...

5. DoughBoy1917

DoughBoy1917

Mar 15, 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most Ibanez necks somewhere between a Jazz and P in terms of width but even thinner in diameter if I recall. Maybe I'm confusing them with another make...dunno.

Anyway thanks for your input, there doesn't seem to be much interest or even very many users of these Steinbergers around. I have to ask myself why?

6. I don't know where you are Dough Boy, but Sam Ash Music carries them.The one here in Broward Co. Fl. does anyway. If you have a store somewhere around your area, you are in business.

7. DoughBoy1917

DoughBoy1917

Mar 15, 2010
    Pompano Beach! In stock? I know Sam Ash carries them but most stores do not have them in stock and will only special order them. The L.A. store actually has them on hand. I'll call Pompano and Miami too while I'm at it.

Either way, I guess I'mma have to take a vacation in SoCal or South Florida.

Thanks for the lead.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Spirit are ok, Hohner are better.