Steinberger Spirit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supermetroid, May 27, 2003.

1. I'm looking into buying an inexpensive, compact bass. What do you know about the Steinberger Spirit basses now available at -- specifically the original "paddle" design? Are they half-decent? How is the tone?
  2. Dman

Jan 25, 2002
    i must say i just got the 5 string paddle version as a backup and just love it. plays well and it have a veriaty of sounds. it does take a little getting use to with a strap

I now use this as my main bass now, it is so much fun to play
  3. I just got the 4-string Sprit XT-2 paddle recently, and I like it a lot. It sounds different than either my Jazz or my Precision -- fatter and thicker, in a way, but very bright sounding too. Pickups have a lot of output for passive EMGs -- I can easily overdrive the passive input on my Hartke B60, but the 400RB and the RBI handle it very well. I like the tone, and LOVE the size and weight.

IMHO: Buy it. Buy it NOW.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had three Spirits now - a pair of the XT-2s and a XZ-2. Both of the XT-2s were sold off recently, but not due to problems or dislike - I simply wasn't playing them enough to be worth keeping.

Quality is/was very high, especially for the price. Tuning stability is great, and the fretwork has been good on all three. (I defretted one of the XT-2s.)

You may also want to consider the XP-2 - I'd consider one for a travel bass, especially if I had a new PG cut for either a passive P pickup or a MM. I picked up one of the mini-V guitars (GP-2R) for my uncle, and was impressed with the feel.
  5. buy two of the goofy little suckers!

my fretless-five is my main bass now. i'm gonna be purchasing at least one more before summer is over.

ned steinberger is back with the company, so keep your eyes out for some fancy new junk... and you should expect the prices to go up soon, if ned starts getting some new design ideas in there.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I concur; buy one NOW. I was amazed at the quality and sound, and you can't beat the portability. I have a fretless 5, and it was my main bass for awhile, even though I just bought it as a backup. The only complaint I had was the neck-dive issue, but I fixed that by adding an extension to the body, and it is one of my favorite basses now.
  7. hey monkey, you got a picture of that body extension? or just describe to me what you used, and how you mounted it... i'm kinda curious.
  8. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    What's the string spacing on those 5ers?
  9. not sure of the string spacing off hand.

back in the day they made a conversion kit, to mount five strings on a four stringer... that's gotta be a little tight.
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It's the ultimate backup bass. I bring it to every gig, whether I play it or not. Whenever I pull it out of the gigbag, it's in tune. The pickups are passive, so one less point of failure. Variety of sounds, so I don't think I'll lose too much if I had to use it. Best of all, it's light and very easy to carry. Only dislike, is the way the strap buttons are. I always have to shift the bass a little, to get it in the right playing position for me when I play standing up.
  11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Do these basses have a composite bodY?
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not unless you consider maple to be a composite!
  13. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    3 Crotch Grab, you asked about my extension... (Wo, that sounds weird.)
  14. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have a Cort headless, 20 year old version of the
    same bass. I don't know if they changed the strap button on the newer models because my bass has absolutely no neck dive. Sliding down to 1st fret notes can be tricky until you get used to not having a headstock to stop you. :D I have always thought these basses were sleepers and highly recommend them.
  15. i still want to see your extension, monkey.
    (that sounds funny too)

honestly, i've been thinking about making one, but i want to see what other people have done.
  16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Sorry, Grabs. I tried to attach the file, but it didn't work. I'll try again...
  17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I just tried on older Spirit XT.
    The owner said that it was one of the first bartch with fenolic fingerboard. Dunno about this, but it was a really nice bass.
  18. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have one and think they are a great deal. I wouldn't want it as my only bass, but it is a great travel bass. Takes a bit of getting used to because the way it hangs actually extends the the neck a bit farther out than a normal bass, but it's not really a big deal.