Steinberger XL-2 Fretless needs some help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BFunk, Sep 12, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have a Steinberger XL-2 fretless with an unlined phenolic fingerboard. There is some wear under A string especially around the 5th position. It's just enough to cause a noticeable buzzing when I play a D. There doesn't seem to be enough fretboard material to sand it. I am considering applying some type of coating to the board to build it up. I hear crazy glue works well. What is recommended?
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm no expert, but I used superglue on a fretless fingerboard successfully. I had an ebony fretboard that had a long groove worn in the G string at and above the 12th fret. I put a thin bead of superglue in the groove and sanded. It worked great and didn't radically effect the tone. You may have to put on a couple of coats, but I bet it will work on phenolic. Good luck!
  3. contact Leroy Aiello of Aiello Guitars, he has experience with Steinbergers having been head tech at Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island NY, who were part owners early on in Steinberger
  4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Another source of information would be to post on the Steinbergerworld forum. Serious forum, knowledgeable folks, deep experience levels.
    Steinberger World
  5. Paul K

Paul K

Aug 15, 2006
    On my fretless Cort Curbow 5, I had a low spot and didn't want to deal with the expense or time spent doing the sanding/polishing of the whole fretboard myself, so I put a drop of superglue at the low spot. It works, but it's noticeable if you look. It's got a plastic fretboard, so isn't the same material as the Steinberger. I don't think the superglue will absorb deep into the material, so it'll disappear if you end up getting the fretboard sanded and polished. So you probably have nothing to lose by trying it.

But I could be wrong...