Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STEINBERGER -- XL or XP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, May 5, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Time to see who's oldskool and who's not!
    Which of these two basses sound better:
    - All composite XL-2
    - Maple body w/composite neck XP-2

- Electronics, year, condition not a factor.

- Which one do you prefer and why?
    [​IMG]

2. I prefer the XL2--to me, the swivelling strap plate made a difference with that small body. I've never compared them head-to-head (or headless-to-headless) for tone, though.

Mike

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    XL, because the boomerang strap holder balances it perfectly.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'd have to go with the XL also...

Wasn't the XP the less expensive model made for folks that couldn't afford the XL ?

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

XL all the way. The density of the material is what makes a 'berger sound great even with the miniscule body.

6. XL - Sound, build quailty (not that the XP is lacking!), and it just looks so much cooler!

--jeff

7. Out of those an XL for sure. I have an XL-2 with a trans trem and it rarely goes out of tune. It has a good sound and is easy to play. Can't get more durable really or portable. I wish I had an XQ though. I played one awhile back with Bartolini pickups and it sounded great. Their is an interview on the stick website with Ned Steinberger http://www.stick.com/interviews/steinberger_04_03/ "I have a new five-year contract with Gibson for Steinberger products and there will be a new guitar out before too long and more products to follow." I am interested in seeing what new designs he has with them.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've owned both at some point in time. Advantage to the XL for sound. Nice bass, wish I kept it

:bawl:

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Sort of. The intent was to build a bass and sell it for less than $1K. The XP ended up costing almost $1K to build and was therefore discontinued after 2 years.
    Buy another one.

Questions:

- Is there relief in your Steiny neck?
    - If so, how much?
    - Are you able to get real low action?
    - If so, how low?

10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

My XL-2 is a white unlined fretless. It has very low action and a small amount of relief built in. It always felt very comfortable to play. (Once you get used to the baseball bat neck!)

11. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    There's relief in the Stein necks I had. Both were remarkably similar. They were pretty straight, with a "just right" touch of relief - I used .040 - .090 strings back then. I never measured, but I'd guesstimate in the .014" area. You can get a very low action without a lot of major buzzing problems. I usually set mine a little less than 1/16" at the 12th fret on the G to a little less than 3/32" on the E.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Make mine an XM, please...