SOLD Steinberger XL2 '87 (Excellent Condition)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by chrisbmets, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Price:
    $3650
    Strings:
    ***NEW PICS OF ELECTRONICS AND PICKUPS ADDED***

With great hesitation, up for sale is my '87 Steinberger XL2 with the active EMG pickups. This is the all composite Steinberger, not the Spirit line.

This bass is IMMACULATE for a 33 year old instrument. It was stored in climate controlled space for 20 years and has absolutely no major dings, scratches, chips or cracks. It has just a few light pick scratches on the cover plate which are unnoticeable unless you are right up on the bass.

Based on the SteinbergerWorld serial # database, this bass was made in Newburgh NY in 1987. It comes with the original gig bag (which is also in amazing condition for it's age), a hardshell Steinberger case, a stand especially made for the XL2 body style basses, and a strap that locks into place on the strap pivot. This bass is an absolute joy to play and balances perfectly on a strap. It's strung up with a new set of LaBellas. The bass plays and sounds great! All the pots are in working order and everything works exactly as it should.

Many of the XL2s I see listed have gelcoat cracks in the backs of the neck (a common occurrence on XL2s), large chunks of the outer coat chipped off, pitting or rusting on the bridge, etc. If you are looking for an immaculate XL2 look no further. It even has the battery compartment cover that is missing on many of the XL2s from the 80s. On the inside you can see all original electronics and pickups and Ned's initials "NRS".

Action is set very low and this bass has a piano like tone, unlike any other bass out there.

These basses were the "it bass" for many players in the 80s including Geddy Lee, Tina Weymouth, Curt Smith, etc.

Here's your chance to own an immaculate XL2. I feel it's priced very fair given the prices of other XL2s that are not anywhere near as clean.

I will entertain REASONABLE OFFERS as well as possible trades for the following basses (4 strings only) and will add cash (if necessary) depending on what you're offering.

Early 70s Fender Jazz bass (maple neck with black blocks)

Sadowsky NYC Jazz (maple fretboard and black block inlays)

F Bass VF4 (PJ)

Sandberg Jazz

Fender Custom Shop Jazz

Elrick e-Volution with Bart jazz pickups

Alleva Coppolo Jazz

Roscoe Vintage Jazz

Feel free to ask for more photos of the XL2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Basehead, skb5string, 31HZ and 3 others like this.
  2. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    That is outstanding. If I did not have a similar 5-er, I would be PM'ing you right now.

Someone is going to get a real piece of history there. GLWTS!

chrisbmets likes this.
  3. Thanks! I'm having second thoughts! LOL

4. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Right that! It's OK though, it will bring great pleasure to the next owner. Peace.

chrisbmets likes this.
  5. Thanks! I agree!!!

6. Wow it's in great shape, nice preservation to say the least!

GLWTS!
    Dirk

chrisbmets likes this.
  7. Thanks Dirk!!!

8. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow sweet..You will regret this..:laugh:. Just pokin. Mine is going to the grave with me:)

chrisbmets likes this.
  9. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Wow !! Geddy APPROVES !! That internal work is crazy cool. I've never seen anything like it. So weird to think Ned started as a furniture builder.

And @ Dirk Diggler - Boogie Nights is one of the BEST movies of ALL time ! All Hail the '90s ! Greatest decade for movies !!!

Mike

chrisbmets likes this.
  10. I am having SERIOUS SECOND THOUGHTS! I played it last night through my new EBS rig and it sounded soo good!!! I may pull the listing! This thing is like a time machine bass. It's IMMACULATE! All original. No dings, dents etc.

FishDub and mb94952 like this.
  11. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Dont do it!! I am serious..Remember this- if you get nostalgic down the rd, that will be one hard bass to replace!

chrisbmets likes this.
  12. Yeah I agree. It's a tough decision.

13. And SOLD! I wanted it to go to someone who would play it far more than I did. My Sadowsky NYC Jazz is my number one go to bass. I will miss it but I'm happy knowing it's going to a great new owner who will enjoy it. I'll probably get the itch for another XL2 in the future.

14. Thank You Leo

Thank You Leo Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Awesome piece. I used to own one of these that I bought new. I believe I still have the original Steinberger branded cable that came with it. If the new owner of this bass would like it, PM me. I'm happy to send it to you for whatever it costs to mail it.

chrisbmets likes this.
  15. Wow! This is EXTREMELY KIND OF YOU!!! Thanks a million. I know he would love the Steinberger cable. I will let him know and then I will have him get in touch with you about paying you to ship it to him in CT. Thanks again! It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a bass player. Bass players are just awesome people!!!

nbsipics likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021