1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Steinberger XL5W, the "wide 5" L-series graphite headless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Europe & International' started by Rozeg, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Rozeg

Rozeg Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Ufa, Russia
    Price:
    Currency (EU and Intl):
    USD
    Strings:
    My Location:
    Russian Federation
    Ships to::
    • Worldwide
    • United States
    Selling my beloved Steinberger XL5W (XL-5W, XL-5WA)
    I posted it for sale on the evilbay, but if you wanna buy it here on Talkbass instead then please send me a pm. You'll find more pictures in my evilbay listing here:
    Rare Steinberger "wide 5" bass XL5W (XLW5BK) | eBay

This is the rare 5-string "wide" L-series Steinberger, serial number T9257, made in the USA. In total, less than 80 "wide 5" L-series basses were ever made, so this model is extremely hard to find.

The string spacing at the bridge is 16 mm between adjacent strings, and total of 64 mm between the outer strings.
    According to the Headless Europe website, this bass was made in August 1996.
    It is in a used condition, with some scratches and a couple of very small dings on the surface. A couple of potentiometers were scratchy, so I installed new ones. Other than that, all electronics and pickups are original.
    Please note how the bridge is installed. In the saddle area, there is a 9mm gap between the bridge and the body. Inside the bridge cavity, there is an additional row of screw inserts for a different bridge positioning, and there’s also a transparent plastic shim installed underneath the bridge. The cavity itself also looks as if it was milled after the bass was manufactured.

According to the previous owner, this bass was manufactured with a wrong bridge positioning: it was positioned almost 9mm too close to the neck. That also means, that the cavity on the body where the bridge is installed is also too long, or too close to the neck. This was a factory flaw, and as a result, it was impossible to achieve standard tuning and intonation on the bass. To fix that, the bridge had to be re-positioned, and the previous owner had it done by Peekamoose in New York city. Moving the bridge away from the neck introduced the abovementioned 9mm gap, which is only a cosmetic issue, while the proper functionality was restored: both the tuning and intonation are fine.

On the bottom of the body, a Dunlop Straplok retainer is installed. I leave it up to you if you want to use it or remove it.

The bass comes with the original boomerang plate, original leg rest and original gig bag. The gig bag is somewhat worn out, but still in a working condition, and the zippers on it are working fine.
    I ship worldwide, flat rate for all countries. Buyers pay all related import taxes and fees. As the bass was manufactured in the US and is currently located in Russia, buyers from USA and Russia don’t have to pay the import tax.
    Important: please contact me prior to purchasing the item on evilbay if you have a feedback lower than 20, or if you have any negative feedback, or if your account was registered less than 12 months ago. I reserve the right to cancel my offer at any time.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. Rozeg

Rozeg Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Ufa, Russia
    Price goes down to 6900 plus shipping

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Still available?

4. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    Wait a second..... I thought the 16mm spacing was Steinberger's narrow neck option, and 19mm was the w-i-d-e option?