Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger XQ-25A Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Anybody play one of these things yet? I believe this is the new US made 5 banger with graphite composite (truss rod!) neck and ash body (choice of finishes). I have a perpetual hard-on for headless basses and thought it looked interesting.

Riis

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    It says it has the "W" bridge, but it's still 16mm spacing. Too bad. I wouldn't mind seeing a 19mm spacing.

3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    I will have one (unless I can find a used XL5 on ebay....

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've been fighting the urge to get one of these...

5. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I have one, at least for a day or two more as I've got it on ebay to sell. Great bass.

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What don't you like about it?

What's the approximate weight?

Thanks

Riis

7. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Just bought a Status Graphite - but at 3x the price, it ought to be better! Weight is about 9.5lbs I think.
    MR

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, I've got a Status Stealth 5 which I adore. The Steinberger might pale in comparison. I wish they had reissued the Steinie in the old "M" style; truly a classic.

Riis

9. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Funny - that's what I just got too - the Stealth 5 headless in natural. How did you buy yours?

10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Neat! I bought mine two or three years ago from berklee46, a fellow TBer. He bought it new but didn't care for the truss rod (he's a traditionalist). It's supposedly a little different as it has a wood, not foam, core and sports the more angular S-2 body shape. It also has the S-2 electronics with two band preamp.

Wish you had offered the Steinie up on TalkBass before listing it on E-bay (errr!).

Best to all

Riis

11. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Your Stealth has the S2 body? Hmmmm...you wouldn't have a photo of it handy would you? My Stealth is the latest version...but I like the S2 body better in some ways...
    MR