Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by affro, Dec 23, 2001.

1. does anyone know if these basses play as well as they look?:cool:

2. if it were that way they'd sound like sh*t IMO. but in reality they sound quite ok though
  3. ...ex-roommate had one, exactly model. Sounded very muddy playing it thru his 1x15. I played it thru my 4x10, and sounded a little better. I found the neck very comfortable, but felt that the controls were too close for fast or heavy playing. If you really want or like stienbergers, I would opt for a full body. You will have to experiment quite a bit to get the tone you want (effects??). But overall this bass can take a serious beating and still stay in tune.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have two. One I defretted and still has the stock pickups, which actually work well for fretless, IMO. The other still has frets, and is being converted to active EMG-HB pickups (or will be, as soon as I find an affordable EMG-BTC tone circuit! ^$*#(@!).

I feel they're a very good value for the money. I find them comfortable to play - needless to say, there's no neck dive! They're also very easy to play sitting down - they have a "kickstand" that supports the bass across the top of your leg. I've had no problems with the placement of the controls, but I play fingerstyle - pickers may have a different opinion.

They do hold their tuning extremely well. Also, this model is a neck-through with the inherent increased sustain that comes from that style of bass. I feel they're built slightly better than the bolt-neck Spirits I've seen, only because there's less assembly involved to be screwed up.

Try one! They're fun!
  5. gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    I have owned my STEINBERGER XL-2 all graphite since 1986 . ( THE REAL ONE ) Purchased new . Very fun to play and once you get use to the tiny body that distinct Steinberger sound takes over. Never goes out of tune . 24 frets is fantastic. I am thinking of selling mine , only for need of $. 1500.00.
  6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I can assure you my Spirits are quite real, thank you.

They may not be original made-by-Ned-Steinbergers, but they DO exist. affro was asking about the Korean Spirit series, I believe.

No one claims that MIM Fenders are less "real" than MIA models, do they? They’re made to different price and quality points for different markets, but they're still Fenders. Spirits are made to a particular market, and they work well when viewed using that criteria.

Are they as good (i.e. high quality, desirable) as an original carbon-fiber Steinie? Of course not! But they're pretty damn good for the price.

Edited - My original post sounded a little too pissy, sorry gozan!
  7. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    i bought one of those back in 1994 and it played real bad, very very bad. Granted it was used but it sucked big time. It was called "Spirit". I tried to sell it but no one would buy it. It costed me $90 from Daddy's used...

The band I use to be in, the guitarist used a Steinberger Guitar that had a graphite neck and was made in TN and that thing sounded like butter.
  8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's more like it! An opinion based on REAL PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

Just out of curiousity, what type Spirit was it? I know they used to sell them through dealers (Sam Ash was big in them, I think).

I've heard there's been quality improvements in the Korean Spirits over the years. My Spirits (both 2001 models) are my beaters, but I really am impressed with their quality!
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have had one of these since before there was a MusicYo. I bought it mainly as a travel bass. I like mine; it plays well and sounds pretty good. As far as quality, I have had no problems with it, seems well made. For the money, I believe they are a bargain.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I like my steinberger 5-string.. its also a spirit.. but I do think the stock pups leave something to be desired.. I want to change them out.. and put in active electronics... but I believe I will have to do some routing... we'll see
  11. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Considering it being such a small the b-string any good?

I'm currently in the saving-up phase for a five string and a travel bass. Why not combine, and get some decent SOCKS.
  12. DenverKen

Dec 20, 2001
    Mile High City
    I bought a Spirit full-body 5 string fretless last spring and it plays very nice, sounds pretty growly, gets a good mwah too. The B is not bad for a 34" scale bolt on. I suspect the heavy Steinberger bridge (yes it is) helps that.

Only complaint is that the passive electronics are very weak. My 57 P reissue blows it out of the water for volume, but I can always turn the amp up louder, right?

Denver Ken
  13. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    :D Thanks, "Denver Ken"! (that sounds like some sort of a cartoon character from the Ren and Stimpy show...)

Was it an unlined fretless, or did it come with lines? I haven't heard of fretless wooden Steinbergers, but I'm glad now that I know about their existence.

Vrolijk kerstfeest (Merry X-mas),
  14. DenverKen

Dec 20, 2001
    Mile High City
    It is unlined. I bought it from for the unbelievable price of $271 with free shipping!

DenverKen has a nice ring to it, dontcha think? Ren and Stimpy, yes, or maybe cat Dog or Sponge Bob Square Pants!