Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Jan 5, 2002.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I'm considering checking out a Steinberger XL-2 to go along with my Status Graphite bass.

I know many people don't like the look of them, but I'm more concerned about the tone. I'd be interested in hearing any comments from those of you who have played them.

Also, any recordings that are obviously the "Steinberger" sound would be appreciated!
  2. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    About tones, I think you will be dissapointed.

However I'm considering to buy one, because it's great for a backup bass on stage (small and light).
    Ofcourse I would change PU's to get my tones.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have an XZ-25... its ok.. nothing great.. tone is acceptable.. but it just doesn't sing. not a mean growling beast.. and if you want to change the pups, then be prepared to do some wood chipping, no pickups besides the stocks fit in them exactly.. but it is a decent bass.. I don't play it anymore though... My ray 5 keeps getting in the way everytime i go to pick it up ;)
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, I always thought the XL "cool factor" was really high, and I liked the tone when I had one, but it's kinda one-dimensional and not particularly versatile to my ears now that I've had some other high-end stuff. Also, the small body and swivelling strap can take a bit of getting used to. Still, I wouldn't mind having another one some day.

The best example of the "Steinberger" sound is probably Rush's "Grace Under Pressure" recording--it was all played on an XL-2, and the bass sound is very much out front.

5. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    hey berklee46!

I have a mid-80's XL-2A (in factory red). Regarding sound, it is punchy and has incredible sustain. While it's not real "warn" sounding, it's cool for many styles of music. You can't compare the newer Steinberger models to the XL's. Regarding weight, they're really not that light, but they are easy to carry and you don't have to worry about the guitarist next to you banging in to your headstock!

The XL-2 is the passive (but low impedence) version. On the active versions, there are center de-dents on all three "knobs." Although I have several other basses I use more, it is the only bass I still own from the mid-80's. I guess that should say something for Steinberger!

Looks like since production stopped, they're going up in value, so pick one up quickly!

Go for it!
  6. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    In the late 80's, I owned an XL2 for about 2 years, and it was great. I played heaps of gigs with it, plus I did some recording, and it performed well in both environments. The thing I particularly liked was that it was a simple bass to get a sound from, and I actually treated it much the same as a Fender Jazz, both pickups and tone all turned full on.

To be honest, the only reason I sold it was because the wankers in the band I was in at the time felt it didn't suit the image! Stupid mistake, but I was a lot younger then! If I could find one for a reasonable price, I'd definately buy it.

One thing that takes a little getting used to is the shape. I always found it to be a little uncomfortable to wear high, so I ended up changing my style and wearing the strap longer, which I've actually continued with to today. The headless thing is a little strange, but then, you've got a Status, so you won't notice the difference.

BTW, which Status have you got? Those early models were great (the series II and 2000).
  7. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    "BTW, which Status have you got? Those early models were great (the series II and 2000)."

I've got a really early 2000. It's all graphite and by far the best playing bass I've ever owned. If I had just found this bass 15 years ago, I'd have saved myself about $25,000 in basses!
  8. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Nice one. Status make great basses. I still remember a fretless 2000 I tried years back, and to this day I still believe it was the best fretless I've ever tried.

In a comparison between these and the Steinberger, you may find the Steinberger has a slightly darker sound than the Status. Whenever I've tried Status, I've always felt that they had a more "modern" or processed sound (if you know what I mean) than my Steinberger. And, remember, my Steinberger was the XL2, so the sound I have in my mind is different to what you're considering buying. Also, if I remember correctly, the Status is much flatter on the back of the neck than the Steinberger.
  9. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    Thanks for the info. The Steinberger was just a bass that I've never tried but was curious about and wanted to get some information about. I have a feeling that I'd be making too many comparisons to my Status and wouldn't be able to have such an open mind about the Steinberger.
    I won't seek one out, but if I come across one, I'll definately check it out.

Thanks again!
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    my bad about my previous post. i have the steinberger xz-25.. I have played the graphite steinbergers though ;). They are surely in my opinion better than the Spirits.. but still the tone just doesn't do it for me.. thats just me. I do think they are cool looking basses..