Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sic and twiztd, Aug 9, 2000.

1. sic and twiztd

sic and twiztd

Jul 28, 2000
    OK. I found a nice Steinberger 5 string bass. i like it a lot, but it is so cheap, brand new, and i want to know if steinberger will last and is worth getting. Its a STEINBERGER
    Spirit XT-25 Standard Bass (5 string)

at MusicYo.com, this is what the prices were:
    Compare @: $999.00 [List Price]
    Yo Low Price: $259.99
    You Save: $739.01

I mean, thats a lot off. Is steinberger any good? please help! thanks a lot. -alex

2. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I got the same bass but in four string. I use it as a back up. Its great! Light Weight, never goes out of tune, looks damn cool. I have some problems with it though. Its not very evenly distributed weight wise and that took me a while to get used to. The pick ups are Ok. I was playing my Ibanez and then broke a string and switched to the Stein and it was alot softer and I had to turn it up about 1.5 more points. But my Ibanez is active. The neck is ok. Its a great back up bass and I've always wanted a steinberger. BIG bass sound and very little pick up noise. The tuners are hard to tune because they are so close together. Everytime I play a show other bassists come up to me and ask me about it. I like it.

3. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    The Spirits are all wood construction, compared to graphite in the original Steinbergers. They are still an excellent bass, especially at that price.
    Gibson, which now owns Steinberger, uses their MusicYo website to sell them. That is why the reduced pricing. If the headless design is your "cup of tea", than by all means....buy it!!!!.....:)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Sic.

I think the first thing you should know is that the Spirit model is as much a Steinberger as a Squier is a Fender. Actually less so, because a real Stinberger is actually made of a plastic composite while the Spirits are made out of wood.

Of course, for the price they're not that bad. i actually ordered a 5-string from Musicyo a while back and I must say it was great for the price. It's well made and had a really good tone both for pizzicato and slapping. Plus, it comes with a gig bag.

One thing to keep in mind also is that your options for strings will be very few, as the Spirits only take double-ball end strings (I was told an adapter was in the works so regular strings could also be used but I have no clue if it's available yet.

Will C.:cool:

5. sic and twiztd

sic and twiztd

Jul 28, 2000
    thanks guys, or girls whatever you are. i didnt really pay attention. thanks for replying so soon. you guys... err... people rule.

6. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    How was the B on that Spirit 5??? I played the for four and thought It was cool,but want a five.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It was actually pretty good. The double ball end strings and the extra mass of the Steinberger-style bridge makes it feel just like a thicker E-string. Still, I should point out that I'm taking price into consideration too. I wouldn't compare it to a Modulus, Fr'instance.

Will C.:cool:

8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have an older Spirit 5 (composite fretboard). It is my travel/home practice bass. I have the relief extremely low, so the B rattles and buzzes, but E-A it really sounds good for a bass of any price. The B feels floppy to me, but then my main bass is a Lakland dlx55, and my backup is a Pedulla Rapture 5, so my standards are very high :)
    I would recommend a Spirit 5 to anyone.

9. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    I have a Steinberger Spirit guitar, and I gotta tell you, I love it. It's the only guitar I want to play. I have access to an american standard Strat, and I'd rather play the 'Berger. I would expect the basses to be just as good.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nothing compares to a Modulus! :D

Yeah, everyone i know whos had a Steinberger LOVES them, so i saw go for it!

11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I love my 5-string fretless Spirit. I had a hard time with the balance thing, too. My left shoulder got really sore and I had to support the neck with my left hand. I routed out a little bit of wood on the back of the upper bout, and cut 2 pieces of metal shelf bracket, riveted them together, and bolted them to the back. So now I have a thin but sturdy piece of metal that parallels the neck and goes up to about the 15th fret. I put a strap button on it, and the bass balances perfectly now. I painted the metal piece black, and you can't really see it at all. I just returned from 5 days of playing 5 hours a day, and I really enjoyed my new Frankenspirit.
    The string thing sucks... I like flatwounds, so I ordered a 4-string set plus a separate B string. They sent the B, but I've been waiting for the rest of the set for over two months now.

12. reidkris

reidkris

Sep 23, 2000
    You should get it. it is a good bass and it will last forever. you couldnt dent it with a truck. my old bass teacher said he dropped his down a set of stairs when someone bumped into him after a show and it didnt even go out of tune :D

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have one of the four string Spirits. Mine is a pre-MusicYo;) I bought mine used before there was a musicyo. I paid $300 for mine back when Musician's Friend was selling them for over $600. I like it. $259.99 is a good price for a decent bass.