Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rmp5s, Oct 20, 2000.

1. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Any body here have a Steinberger? I was thinking about picking one up. I heard that you don't have to tune them. Is that 100% true? That's kinda hard to believe. Also, do they come with active electronics and how much are they (approx.)?

2. BassicCat

BassicCat

Apr 8, 2000
    The ORIGINAL 'Bergers have graphite necks. combined with their unique tuning system, they are indeed supposed to hold tuning better than the average "bear". My experience with the real-deal Steinbergers is very limited, but COST is the main factor. Originals (graphite) go for $1000 or more, easily. There are numerous licensed copies, such as Hohner, Cort and even Lotus. These are ALL WOOD, and some do have active electronics. MusicYo! (Gibson) sells the Steinberger "Spirit" 4-stringer for about 239.00 brand new. I wince, seeing used copies going for close to $300 on eBay. I recently bought a tired little Lotus 'Berger copy. It is pretty beat, but has been played alot. It has an awesome sound, but the neck is bowed, giving it a higher action than I can stand. I suspect a broken truss-rod, too. Darn it, those graphite necks sound better all the time! Hey, one more thing - you might want to get hold of a copy (or original), just to try this design. Some players don't like the weight distribution, others may not care for the sound. I wish I had some "really good info from a really good bassist", but this might help a little.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a headless Washburn made in the 80's, before being sued by Steinberger for copyright infringement. While I cannot say that you NEVER have to tune it.....it does hold a tune better than any other bass that I have owned.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to have an all wood Steinberger knockoff called a Westone Quantum, it was a great little bass, did not have a licensed bridge but it was a dead ripoff of one. Stayed in tune very well, wish I still had it.

The real deal Steinbergers haven't been made for several years, a used one will cost $700 or more.

5. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I went to MusicYo and looked at the Steinbergers they have there. I liked the Spirit XZ-25. So this is not a "real" Steinberger? The neck is 3 peice hard maple and the body is maple. I like it for $279.99. I just don't care too much for the EMG Selects. That's what I have in my Ibanez EX Series now and I believe that they are the basses only downfall. I was thinking about getting the Steinberger and putting some Bartolini active pickups in it. That would rock.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The REAL Steinbergers were either solid composite or a composite neck on a wood body.

The composite material was called 'Steinberger Blend' and was similar to Modulus or Zon graphite necks.

This material, and the REAL EMG active pickups that these basses had were what gave them their characteristic sound and made them a very popular bass for most of the 80's.

The Spirit is not a REAL Steinberger, Ned Steinberger sold the company to Gibson several years back.

But they are a decent bass, and yes, I would change the pickups. The EMG Select pickup is IMHO one of the most overrated aftermarket pickups ever made. No comparison with a real EMG, or Basslines, Lane Poor or Bartolini, for that matter.

7. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    That's why I stated that I thought that my Ibanez's only downfall was the EMG Selects. Not too tonally diverse. EMG-HZ are pretty good, though. How hard would it be to put an active set of Bart's in a Steinberger or is it even possible? I played a few Corts recently with Barts in 'em and REALLY liked the pickups. Best sounding fretless for slapping I've EVER heard. I know you really arn't supposed to slap a fretless, but I did it on accident sort of,almost out of habit and relized that it sounded really good.

8. BassicCat

BassicCat

Apr 8, 2000
    All this Steinberger talk has made me want to repair my tired Lotus 'Berger copy. I have some active pickups and stuff, and I am looking at buying one of those RotoZip tools anyways. The Stewart Macdonald's (stewmac.com) catalog has some through-the-body necks for about 219.85 (24 fret). This would HAVE to be cheaper than having someone just repair the existing neck! So, I'll see how it goes and maybe will have some pix available for other bassist/gizmologists who may be interested!