Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinbergers and Conklin 7s. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Jan 23, 2001.

1. I'm in the market for a new bass, and I'm interested in a Steinberger spirit headless fretless 5-string from MusicYo.com. I just wanted to know if there was anybody here who either owns one, or has comments about the bass and/or the site.

Also, does anyone here know anything about Conklin 7s? I've heard they're good, but I've never gotten my paws on one.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    conklin 7's??? you've come to the right place my boy...:D
    meet john turner...he's a moderator here, and is the resident expert on any bass with more than a zillion strings... :D i'm sure he'll be around to help you out with any questions you may have, but seeing as how he went to the NAMM SHOW IN ANAHEIM (lol), it may be a while before he's able to recover from the ecstacy one may experience at such a convention. sorry, jt...(this photo was used without permission †looks for the cops outside the window† :D ) heheh
    [​IMG]

3. Thanks for the reply. When he gets back from NAMM, let's see if he and I could talk 7-string.

Now all I need is info on the Steinbergers.....

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh, I'm sure he'll be along shortly.:D

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Meanwhile 420........I just started playing a GT7 and I AIN'T NEVER GOIN' BACK!!! JT is really the guy to give specifics, but I can testify as to the great sound (barts with mity mite) good playability and 'wadda range'. I shredded some guitar players heads last sunday with what this bass will do. I also have a Stein that is fun for stuff but the Conk is a New World!

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there are 2 distinct kinds of conklins, those that are hand made in missouri by bill conklin, and those that are made in korea at the westheimer (cort) plant.

i have a bunch of the custom ones, as you can see by the pic up there :D (thanks neptoon :D ). there are a few guys here on the board who have korean made conklins. the groove tools instruments are very good basses, with great pickups and preamps - btw, although they label the preamp as a "mighty mite" preamp, it was actually designed by bill bartolini, to complement the barts that are in the bass, so it's really a bart preamp more than a mighty mite.

the korean basses are really a great deal - for about 1/3rd the price of a custom bass you can get something that is very comparable, nearly identical, to a custom. obviously they don't have the custom wood working or quality of woods, and they don't have the same level of electronics or same quality of hardware that are on the custom basses, but considering the price they are a fabulous deal. shoot, you could buy one and put US$1000 into one in custom, wacky electronics and hardware, and still come out ahead.

the biggest reason that i don't have any, other than the fact that i don't need any more :D (yeah right :D ) is that the spacing at the nut on the gt7's is a bit wide for me - i like spacing more like a jazz bass, and these are spaced more comparable to a p-bass, string to string, at the nut.

the bill dickens model is spaced more comparable to a jazz bass, in fact i will probably pick up a bill dickens groove tools 7 as a knock-around bass in the near future.

and if you should decide to go down the path to the "darkside" :D (7 strings) you might find that you won't go back - i know many people, including myself, who have completely relinquished 4 strings in favor of 6's or 7's. after all, there's absolutely nothing that can be done on a 4 that can't be done on a 7.

hope this helps.

7. Once again, thanks for the replies everybody. They help. But I still wanna know about the Steinberger fretless 5s and what y'all think of 'em.

Hope to hear.

In the words of George Clinton:
    "Free yo mind an' yo ass will follow."

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    John, the preamps are weak! The shielding needs work because my GT-7 hums A LOT. Of course, getting a new preamp has proved to be quite a challenge, but that's beside the point.

The GT-7 is a LOT of bass for a decent amount of money. It has a great tone (in an interference free environment) and its looks and size make it an attention grabber. And even though I enjoy having one, I think it will take a bit of getting used to. They may be a bit much for most men (John, I bow to your prowess). But you know, it's all about what you play. That bass can handle a lot, but you need to spend some time on it.

Also, if you get a Steinberger, get a real one. They are breathtaking.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    did you try changing the battery? i've never heard of the problem you are having, although that doesn't necessarily mean anything :D.

also, if you are going to replace the preamp, get a ntmb (3-band) from bartolini or one of those 3 band preamps from seymour duncan. and drill a hole. :D