Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STEINBERGERS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i am curious about them, they look interesting, and ive played one in gc but not enough to get the low down on it. Can i get some oppinions and pictures if possible?

2. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    1 more thing, whats the tone like, is it good for grunge/metal/rock. i like a real grinding tone, similar to tool.

3. I can only speak for the XL-2 basses....

I played them with Tops in Blue and they are great for the road; graphite/composite..neck doesn't warp, change to temperatures/humidity, etc....active electronics, good tone/sound, really EASY/QUICK to change strings...

However, it's the ONLY bass I've EVER broke strings on...No body to "hug" you back like a Fender...Cold, lifeless, and just "different"...best way I can describe it...

Hope this helps...

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My XM2A is kinda P'ish, and not sterile at all (IMO, anyway). It's one of the bolt-neck models, with a synthetic neck and a maple body. Best balance of any bass I've ever handled.

Which model are you considering?

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    The spirit xz-2 is in my price range, and it looks pretty nice. The problem is which color? they give you cherry burst, fire burst, and honey burst, but they only show you ONE COLOR!

by the way, does anyone know how the slap tone is?

6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have a Spirit XT-25. It is a great little bass easy to carry around. I think the tone would be better with better pick ups, but it is not too bad.

To see the other colors look at other basses the XZ-25 I believe is the fireburst, the XZ-2 I think is the Cherryburst, and the XZ-2DB would be the honeyburst. I don't know if these are correct or not, but they make sense.

Oh and buy the way if you get a lemon Musicyo has a good return polacy. the first bass I got had a hump at about the 12th fret and I went through their return form ect and sent it back to them and got a new bass about a week later. I went very smoothly, took a little time, but I did'nt mind to get a good instrument.

7. About ten years back, there was an anniversary Stein at Guitar Center stores that was painted silver. Just out of curiosity, I picked one up and irritated the customers with the full version of YYZ, via GK 800RB. I was shocked how heavy it was, cuz it's no bigger than an army man's folding shovel, but it's got serious mass. I liked it except for the narrow string spacing, but since I already had too many basses at the time, I couldn't see myself throwing down for one. Years later a friend called up saying he had a 5-string Stein that he's let go for only $400.00. Immediately, I thought of those wood necked models, but he brought it over and sure enough, it was a solid graphite 5 stringer.

I thought it was gonna be my lucky day, but when I picked it up, I nearly tossed it out the window. My only gripe with the 4 stringer was the too narrow string spacing, but the 5-stringer had 5 strings in the same nut width as the 4 stringer! Same at the business end too. All 5 strings were poled over a regular guitar-size EMG pickup. I couldn't thump it, I couldn't pop it. I couldn't play it at all, not even with a pick.

I couldn't believe it. There is so much to like about the graphite Steins, but for me, it's all for naught. If I were to spend a little time and get the feel for this freak, all my normal basses would feel like giant movie props. I play for a living, so that's out.

If I only had one bass, maybe I'd pick the Stein, but in the world, I need to use several basses each night and I need for them to at least be semi-similiar feeling or else I think the earth has deviated from it's axis and we're all gonna die any second.

This is just one bass player's humble opinion.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The earlier fives were narrow; later ones had a more typical neck. That said, a lot of players prefer and seek the narrow ones!

All current production Steinbergers (both Spirit and USA reissue) have the wider five string neck, AFAIK.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have a spirit xz-25... I haven't played it in over a year now... I think the tone is somewhat lacking compared to the other basses i've recently owned.. but not a bad buy for the money... if you want to upgrade it though, be prepared to do some routing...