1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stellartone Bass 10 Tonestyler

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pep, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    For years I've searched for a consistent sound. Once found it was almost impossible to reproduce it from gig to gig. The amp can be dialed in fairly close but unless the bass guitar tone control was pegged in either direction, it was a hunting game. That was until I started replacing my tone controls in my basses with the Stellartone Bass 10 ToneStyler.
    It's 10 position detented tone control that allows me to find the same tone position each and every time. I know that on my Precision Bass I'm 3 clicks back from the far clockwise position. On my Stu Hamm Urge it's 2 clicks back. How can it get any easier than that?
    Give it a try and I think you'll agree.
    I'll eventually have them in all of my basses.

2. I'd rather have a 500K Ohm treble cut (tone) pot & a 47 nF cap, which would give you the same range of control, just w/o the detents.

3. I would rather just build my own tonestyler from a rotary switch and a few capacitors. You wont get as many positions, but it won't cost much money.

40Hz likes this.
  4. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    If it can't account for hollow stages, room size, suspended ceilings, and room capacity, I couldn't really call it 'repeatable'.
    Another product that-if it works for you- great!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. With basic electronics knowledge, you can design your own and tailor it to your own pickups.

I'm really not a passive bass guy, but I did this for my own fun and knowledge, and made a vid for my little YT channel.

I designed mine to act like a better performing passive tone cut, but you can make any response you like. You'd be amazed how much mid boost can be added passively (if that's your bag).

As for this, I don't want to get OT, but really, unless you are a big name, playing big stages with your own tech, IMHO, this is an unrealistic goal. In fact, as a gigging pro myself, the inconsistencies at each setting are what makes this game fun and challenging.

BlueTalon likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Funny- I have exactly the opposite problem. Everything I do, I sound just like me. Even if I switch it up drastically, just me comes out.

7. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    The detents are the purpose.

8. That's the part that turns me off. I'd rather have the smooth analog taper.

9. Why not have both, then?

A varitone for capacitance selection, and a tone pot to adjust how much to roll off.

40Hz likes this.
  10. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I posted this as a option for anyone who's interested. Everyone has different tastes and it's not the cure-all or the answer for everyone. None of my bass sound comes from the stage. All of it is in the mains/subs. We're currently using the sound tech for the Kentucky Headhunters. He said mixing my bass is the easiest and most consistent set-up he's ever mixed. It my job to play and it's his job to make my set-up sound great. If this makes his job easier and my sound more consistent, that's good enough for me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  11. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    If that works great for you, that's what you should use.

12. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    If you want that much adjustment then go for it. In some cases more is better.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  13. So you always keep the setting the same on each bass?

14. Just a reminder to the uninitiated. I get what you're sayin' and I'm sure you do as well. But for those who don't know any better, you can't add/boost anything passively. Passive circuits can only take away. In your case you are taking away the opposite of what adding mid boost would do, if it could, passively. The passive tone cut part is stated correctly.

Kudos for rolling your own. :thumbsup:

15. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    No, each of my basses sound different. The Stellartone helps me repeat the sounds that I want on each of them. Hope that makes sense.

16. You said bass 1 is set to X, bass 2 is set to Y, and so on.

Does bass 1 always stay on setting X?
    Does bass 2 always stay on setting Y?

Or do you change the settings for different situations or different songs/tone requirements?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. You can't "add" with a passive circuit, but what you can do is "steal" from some frequencies to "give" to others. The mid boost thing is the result of shifting the resonant frequency to where there is a lot of energy in a particular midrange region.

18. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    One of my groups is a Chicago tribute band so most of the settings remain the same. However, there are times in the evening when I need to reproduce something unique.
    Example: Searching So Long. In the intro there's a deep bass signature that sounds like a bass fiddle. I change the setting for that, then i go back to the normal setting for the rest of the tune. This is why repeatability is so important in my situation.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  19. If by "stealing from some frequencies to give to others" you mean attenuating some frequencies gives the relative appearance that the unattenuated frequencies seem to have been "boosted", because the attenuated frequencies are now lower, though the unattenuated frequencies have not changed in level, then I agree.

20. Here is a response curve, thanks to TB member T-34.
    8306549021_afb8ffc3d2_o-.