1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stellartone Tone Styler Instead Of Active Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, May 25, 2011.

1. I've had great results from this tone pot from Stellartone. They make several for basses. It does not use a battery and so it simply cuts the high frequencies - very smoothly. I use the version with notched rotation. It shapes the tone in very gradual increments. In full clockwise position it is bypassed as if the bass had no tone knob at all. In full counter-clockwise position it is equal to a .1 capacitor. There are 16 notched positions and each of them is very useable. There is absolutely no noise as you turn the knob in either direction. I called the company and the owner answered the phone. He is extremely helpful. This particular tone pot is a drop in replacement. It only works with passive pickups. No, I'm not an employee for the above company. :)

2. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada

3. You're comparing apples and oranges. Assuming "active electronics" refers to a standard preamp, rather than some sort of filter preamp, variable low pass filters are different from a two or three band equalizer that can cut or boost, plus a low impedance output. Neither option is a substitute for the functionality of the other.

4. Why do you keep replying to threads in this fashion?:confused:
    Very weird spam or bump attempt.

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    :hyper:

6. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Though you may be right on "apples and oranges", I think OP has merit. At the end of the day, it is just another tone shaping device, and it may be a better candidate than a preamp for certain applications.

Think of it this way: My two favorite preamps are Sadowsky and J-Retro. Both are great devices but what they are doing to the tone is very different, one cannot substitute the other - apples and oranges.

Having said that, Stellartone can be added to any preamp. Think of a Sadowsky with a VTC.