1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stellartone - Tonestlyer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ron G, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    I want to improve the tone of my P-basses, I found tonestlyer reading Bass Player. Is it worth $79 or should I just replace the capacitor?

2. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I'm a big fan. Have two of them in my Epiphone Flying "V" mod, two in a Squier Jaguar SS mod, one of last years DuoTone (still available by calling them) going in my other Jag SS mod. Have one of the new 10 position Duals on order for my Gibson SS Tbird, putting a 6 position in my ESP 5 string. Have one of the original Jazz ones that I haven't decided what to do with yet. Thinking of getting another 6er and putting them in my Guild JSII, 6er in the neck and Jazz in the bridge.

I like having the ability to have so many options. Even though I normally keep the neck on full thump or close to it, and use the bridge to add highs and mids.

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, I'm be a fan too! I'm using it on my Ben Lindsey 'Stang bass...

DSC04389.jpg

4. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks, going to place my order.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bumping this old thread because I just saw this thing for the first time today. Got a technical question...

I have a PJ wired VVTT with passive humbuckers in both spots. It occurs to me that I may be really loading down those pickups with capacitance between the two controls. If I were to replace the P pickup's tone pot with a Tonestyler, would that lift a lot of that capacitance in the open position? And would I have to use one on the J pickup as well to get the benefit? Or would one on the P be enough? I mostly stick to the P these days and just sort of blend in the J occasionally when I need a little smoother tone and I almost always leave tone all the way up on it. Meanwhile I work the tone knob on the P pickup a lot. Leaves a little something to be desired, though, and this thing looks like the bomb for that.

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    With the tone pots turned to full treble I don't think you have much capacitive load. Your resistive load with 4 pots is getting pretty heavy though. In the open position the Tonestyler will have neither resistive nor capacitive load on the pickups so it might make an interesting change to your current setup. It seems like the supply of Tonestyler customers usually exceeds the supply of Tonestyler hardware so if you don't like it I don't think you would have any trouble selling it. I assume you have the standard V/V setup where the pickups are wired to the center contact on the volume pots and the output is taken from the "top" contacts which are wired together and that you also have the tone pots connected directly to the pickups. In that case you will only be able to get the full Tonestyler effect on the pickup it is connected to (the P I presume) or on both pickups only when both volume pots are at or near full volume. If you are ok with that then there is no need to get two Tonestylers. You could, I suppose, use two toggle switches to connect either tone control to either pickup. You'd get a lot of flexibility that way but you might seldom use it.

Ken

7. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I suggest that Monday morning, or whenever you can, you call them. You will talk to the owner, he is very knowledgable and will be able to tell you exactly what you need and how to make it work.

I've talked to him a few times and always got whatever question I had answered promptly and correctly. I have two wired VVTT with ToneStylers in them and neither of them affects the other pickup. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't have a ToneStyler on your "P" and a standard pot on the "J".

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thx for the answer Ken and FJ. I'm feeling this Tonestyler is going to be really cool based on your replies and Garth Fielding's vid on Youtube. Garth said he started with one in his 2-pickup basses and went to two, but I really don't care much about the J pickup and could probably just do with having the Tonestyler work both of them. But then what do I do with the open pot? Dang, I knew I shouldn't have routed that thing out for 4 knobs in 1982.

:D

9. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    They just came out with a new ToneStyler Bass Duo. This is a double pot that can control both pickups from one. I'm putting one of these in my Thunderbird SS when it goes in for painting and upgrading. It'll be VBT when I get it back.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Bass Duo, eh? Looks very interesting.

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Well, one thing the ToneStyler cannot do is to mimic a conventional tone control. Not sure this is possible but if you could run the ground wire for the capacitor array through the pot in that fourth hole then with the pot set to zero the ToneStyler would act like a ToneStyler but then when you turn the pot up you would have a conventional tone control with, with, with however many capacitor values the ToneStyler has. It might be an interesting setup.

Ken

12. Just leave a pot in there with nothing connected to it. Placeholder for the knob.

Rick B.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I guess Tony Levin would call that a producer knob ;)

Well this Bass Duo thing sounds like a winner, so I may end up doing just that. Gotta wait a little while...in the middle of a spring spending spree that I need to recover from first.

14. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Well, you are probably in luck. The ToneStyler Dual 10 was supposed to be available tomorrow. But I seems the supplier is having problems so maybe for a couple weeks. I think the Dual 6 is sold out too.

I'll know for sure tomorrow morning when I get on the order line.

15. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    All this Tonestyler talk... Making me see sights of a two-channel "Wet" and "Dry" Jazz bass.

First a two-way switch to choose a single channel, or maybe even a three way to mix the two. Then each channel has it's own volume controls for each J pickup, then one channel has a Tonestyler 10 way and the other has a traditional cap. Then each channel has its own output, enough sonic boom to make Ric-o-Sound jealous. Can it be done?

16. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I'd ask Line6man, if there is a way I'd put my money on his knowing it. Sure seems like it'd be possible to have two completely separate systems using an A/B switch between them.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Definitely do a 3-way switch. That way, when you inevitably get too lazy for two amps all the time, you won't be stuck with one or the other.

:D

So I guess I didn't get the idea of the Bass Duo when I first spoke. I thought it was two circuits on a split knob or something similar, not a single tone for the whole bass. I think I'd rather do two separates than a Bass Duo. Actually I think just one per bass will be plenty for me. I just need to decide whether I want a Ten or Six. Too bad they don't have charts posted of each position on each knob, just a general EQ chart from the older 16 band model. I saw a couple positions that look more interesting than others, so it would be nice to know which ones the Six carries over.

18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I just wanted to throw my .02 in. I have a tonestyler on my Geddy Lee jazz. And I love it. I can't offer much in the way of technical contribution to this thread, but I can tell say that it really transformed that bass for me. I think this was easily an upgrade that was on par with the likes of swapping pickups as far as noticable change in tone. And the tonestlyer is SO much more versatile than the old tone pot was. Im a pbass guy pretty much through and through and this ALMOST made me start playing the JB at gigs :D

The one think i will say about it- if you are used to playing with your tone knob wide open, you might have to back off a bit on the TS. If i play the GL wide open, it's a little clanky for my tastes, but if i back of about 20%- oh man is it ever sweet. PLUS i find myself using many other points on it as well. A VERY worthwhile addition IMO.
    Rock on.

19. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I've had a Tonestyler in my RW Jazz for several years, and like what it does. I haven't kept up with what they're doing over there, but I'm a little curious about how/why people are using two of them in one bass.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ed, if you have separate tone and volume knobs, that would likely be the reason to use two.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021