1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stellartone Tonestyler Diagram (Volume/TS)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Josh Pelican, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I've found plenty of wiring diagrams for the Tonestyler, but I cannot find one for a P-bass. I'm just removing the tone pot and replacing it with the Tonestyler, but I don't know where to solder the tone pot.

Everything is unscrewed and ready to go!

Thanks!

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I should have a wire that goes to ground and one that goes to hot, where the wire from the former tone control went.

Look at this diagram:

[​IMG]

3. Hmm... my p-bass isn't wired like that. It doesn't have the wire that goes straight from the volume to the output jack.

There's a wire from the volume connected to the tone knob, then that wire is connected directly to the output, as opposed to just bypass the tone. I'm running out of time today so I'll just probably put everything back together and wait it out. I'm definitely not taking it to a luthier.

4. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    just follow the diagram above. If you have to change a few wires that's OK.

5. All right. I'll try that when I get home tonight.

When I was screwing my pickguard back on, two of the holes don't line up perfectly anymore. Do you know why that might be?

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    How old is the bass, and what kind of pickguard material is it? Some types of pickguards are made from celluloid and they shrink after a while. That happens with pearl and tortoise plastics.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Check out the diagram for a V/B/tonestyler in a jazz bass and it will show you the wire color code on the styler, then just wire it the same way the regular tone pot would be hooked up in your P bass.

8. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
  9. It's a brand new (the body was cut a few months ago) bass I had made from Dan Atkinson/USACG. It looks like a hard plastic pickguard to me. It's black/white/black.

Thanks, dude. So in the end, the ToneStyler isn't wired directly to the output jack, just the volume, right?

10. Well, I soldered everything, screwed it back together, and put one string back on. Plugged into my tuner and it's not ready anything. Awesome.

EDIT: Tried wiring it up the way it was and that won't work either. I have the SPB-1 pickups, but it didn't come wired like that...

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You have a wire going from the volume pot to the jack, right?

Check for short circuits.

12. Yeah, I had a wire going from the volume to the tip. Should something be connected to the sleeve?

I'm trying to just install the original tone pot, but even that won't work for me. I don't understand what's going on. My P-bass wasn't wired the same way as the diagram you posted and I have those pickups in it.

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You can wire up a P bass a couple of ways, and they both work the same, but that diagram will work.

Yours used the tone pot as a bridge for the wire to go to the jack, so you just have to switch some things around.

I'd start off with the Duncan diagram and add in the Tonestyler.

14. I don't even have enough wiring to complete the diagram shown on the Seymour Duncan site. If I'm not mistaken, the original way had a wire from the tip to the bottom of the tone pot (grounded), then a jump wire from the tone pot to the volume pot.

The capacitor went from the middle lug of the tone pot and to the bottom of the tone pot (grounded).

Nothing originally went to the sleeve.

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's another way to do it. They used the cap as a wire. But that just gets the signal to the tone pot. You need a wire from the volume pot to the jack.

They don't have a ground wire because they are using the foil on the pickguard as ground. It's always a better idea to use a ground wire.

You must have a wire missing or have something mis=wired if you are not getting any sound.

This is another way to wire a P bass:

16. I've got the ToneStyler figured out. I'm just going to wait until my old man gets home. He's better with a soldering iron than I am. My hands can get a little shaky sometimes and I get frustrated easily, hahaha.

In a few hours this should be back in business with the TS pot.