1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stellartone 'Tonestyler' in a Fender P or J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rezdog, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a 'Tonestyler' pot into a Fender P or J (4 string or 5), and what you thought of it? Also.... were you able to keep the stock Fender sound as well as any enhancements? Thanks

Rezdog

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought one and mean to install it in my P bass, but I have yet to do so. Maybe this will push me towards installing it.

3. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Putting it in my reverend as we speak. Ill give a report once I hear it.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've got a few of them and something thats being offered in the LEJ's as an options. I just installed one in a Thunderbird with a set of Bartolini's for a customer and I thought it was very nice. It gives a huge range of freq adjustments and flexibility over just the normal roll off from a Tone(VTC) pot. In some positions it offered an almost Q filter effect, great points!

5. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I installed the Stellartone Tonestyler yesterday in my MIJ P bass -- it's a '50's RI bass from the 1980's with a Duncan Antiquity pickup and TI flats. I spent some time today playing it through my "loud" rig. This thing really does have an effect on tone. Position 1 is like having the pickup wired directly to the output jack -- full-on bright. Dialing it down through the various positions, it sounded to me more like a mid boost than a treble cut. I did not notice a real treble cut until about position 10. The last 3 or 4 positions really cut the highs and mids, until it sounds like my rig is covered in a chocolate blanket -- the last couple are pure Jah Wobble territory. Positions 15 and 16 must use some big capacitor values.

I like this control, and wish I could install one in my Roscoe Beck IV (which I cannot do because of the pull-up control on the tone knob of that bass).

6. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Tonestyler Bass was what I reviewed. I would like to see other opinions about it.

7. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    So just put one in my reverend and early impressions are good. Its unusual with multiple graded positions and it usually takes a good 3-4 position changes before you notice a big difference in the tone but they are there. The lowest settings are traditional tone rolloff while the middle ones alter the sounds of the mids more. Whats strange is that it seems to have made the differences between my series/parallel/single coil switch more dramatic which is a definite plus. Cool cheap mod with no intrinsic alteration to the body of your instrument.

8. hmmm....??
    anybody else try this out?

9. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I have an older "Baristyler" version in my P-bass. I like it a lot. I use it with the S-1 switch and I get a lot of tonal variety from the setup. Far more usable than just a traditional tone knob, IMHO.

10. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I've looked into getting one. I can't find any in stock of the model I need.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    anyone else?

surprised this little gem hasnt caught on. kinda tired of my tone pot in my passives. might be cause i'm used to a more active sound.

12. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I am curious about these myself. I was never happy with the tone control on my Afterburner.

13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I have one installed in my Clement 5 fretless with a single MM Nord pup. (It's #126 if you go to the Tom Clement gallery on his website). All I can say is Wow.:hyper: It really is like having an active pre in one pot. The person above who described it as a mid boost rather than a treble cut is pretty much describing my experience too.

14. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I have one and I like it. I'm still not sure if I love it. Wide open it sounds great. A little bit bigger sound than the stock jazz tone knob wide open. I gotta say that I'm not really into the "mid boost" sound that is part of the character of a lot of the middle settings. It is just a bit too much for me and not very usable. The tone rolled off sounds great for that sort of muddy sound.

I might like it better on a precision. I have it installed on a custom shop '64 jazz at the moment.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've eyeballed these for a while, but never taken the plunge on one, nor ever laid hands/heard one.

16. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Subscribed. :bag:

17. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

I believe you have been in touch with Bill in Daytona Beach correct? He has played a few I have built with the tonestyler in them. Contact him about them I think he liked them....t

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    interesting,

not a fan of that upper middy carve/honk in most P bass sounds. i know, heresy!

would have thought it'd be nicer on a jazz.

how are the lower darker settings?

19. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I don't like the standard tone controls in most basses, and consider them pretty much unusable past rolling off 1/4 or so anyway..

I didn't even know the ToneStyler existed until I saw one in the shop while I trying out my new American Standard P5. As soon as I found out what it did, I decided I had to have it.

I figured I'd save myself the trouble and have it installed and ready to go before I take the bass home. I'm tired of regular tone controls, and I can see this thing making a regular P-Bass a lot more versatile.

I'll be picking it up on Saturday. I'll share if I can remember to. :D