1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

StellarTone Vari-ToneStyler

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fjadams, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Has anybody else seen the new offerings? Has anybody tried one yet? Any reviews from somebody that actually has one installed, not from somebody who has never seen or heard one but has dozens of reasons why they hate it.
    Just saw these today and am thinking I have a need.

Vari-ToneStyler

Stellartone - VIDEOS

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I've used their older capacitor switching tonestylers in the past and have a generally high opinion of them. I've recommended them a few times at TB.

However, I don't normally comment on pricing - but I think the $339 asking price for these new units is completely out of line for what these seem to be. These are not complex circuits. Look up some schematics if you don't know what makes up a simple capacitor switching or classic Gibson choke-type varitone. There's not much to them.

To me, the biggest advantage of the Tonestyler (beyond what it does if you're into what it does) was its drop-in convenience factor and build quality.

I'd love to try one. But when you consider you could get a far more versatile top-shelf preamp for a hundred dollars less - or wire the same sort of circuit up for youself for around $30 (or less) - it becomes very hard to justify that big an expenditure.

But maybe thats just me.

3. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Oh, I agree that the price seems out of whack. But the concept of it just something that I think I'd really like.