Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stellastarr

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Dec 16, 2003.

1. I bought their eponymous debut album a week ago- on the strength of the single "somewhere accross forever", which is IMO one of the best tracks of the year (excellent production and contrasts between lead and backing vocals), and also some promising reviews in the music press.

it's alt-pop-rock/indie; Pixies/Thowing muses, although the lead singer to me sounds like The Cars' Ric Ocasek.

Amanda Tannen's bass sound is a bit typical-indie sloppy in feel and tone- not very defined and the highs and mids are mainly fretnoise/squeaks + buzzes- the problem being a too light fingerstyle touch?
    some of the tracks are promisingly ambitious for the indie genre eg. the tempo/rhythm changes of "Homeland".

2. anyone else heard/bought this album?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've listened to it once, thought it was interesting but I wasn't listening closely enough at the time (was typing up a document) to remember many details.

4. bump.

"My coco" is getting some airplay in the UK now.
    considering the reviews the album got it's surprising this band are still pretty much unknown.