1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stentor bass?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by wandajackson, Jan 3, 2012.

1. wandajackson

wandajackson

Jan 3, 2012
    Hey all,
    I am looking at buying a Stentor 3/4 Rockabilly style upright and was wondering if anyone who owns one or has played one can tell me more about it.
    I've played, rented, and borrowed a few uprights, but never one like this before.
    I know it's a cheap make and model, that's why it appeals to me. I went down and played one and it looked and sounded pretty good. I'd want to install a pick up right away. There's no adjustable bridge, but the bridge is in a good place right now and the bass isn't supposed to do too much shifiting as it ages on account of the all the lacquer covering the plywood body.
    Any information or advice on these basses?

2. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I' ve tried one at Long & McQuade. They are decent as long as it' s set up well

Richie

3. manonbassguitar

manonbassguitar

Jan 25, 2011
    I have owned my 2003 Stentor "Conservatoire Double Bass" model for over 1 year and this is by far, a pro level instrument and is made as solid as a rock. I have recorded this bass, and noticed both the engineer and the band commented on how fantastic the bass sounds compared to others they've heard. The tone, projection, and sustain is excellent. Very comfortable fingerboard. Get one with a solid carved top! It has very beautiful wood and the finish is a nice amber tone. It is well worth the extra money and you will not be sorry if you purchase one. If it were stolen or destroyed, I would save my money and purchase another one. Only downfall if that it should come with a rigid soft/hard case. I have also come to find they are somewhat rare in the USA. I got very lucky & paid $1000.00 for a $2500-$3000 instrument. The lucky finds are out there, you just gotta find them & everyone needs $ these days so, negotiate!

4. Funkallero

Funkallero

Jun 9, 2012
    I just bought a Stentor Conservatoire not sure what year, and I can't stop playing it! i had a much cheaper 3/4 which i sold at a profit and i just happened to see this one advertised for much less than it's worth, so I got a real bargain! I play mostly Latin and try to play Jazz, I have been learning Rockabilly styles also, I haven't slapped it yet, its too shiny and too new!, but it does feel heavier (carved back and top) and much sturdier than my previous laminated upright. I have installed a fishman pickup on it and Im planning to buy a Mark Bass 121p amp, which i like for their lightness and volume.

Here's a link to the Stentor website http://www.stentor-music.com/stentor violins.html
    they dont list the price, but I've seen the Conservatoire for sale on Amazon Uk for 1400 pounds.

5. garybaldy

garybaldy

Jul 31, 2012
    How do you find the fishman?I used a BP100 for about 15yrs just tolerating the sound - couldnt afford to experiment,then bought a pickup made by a guy on ebay UK for 20 quid in 2008 and its so much better(the fishmans are now 150GBP I think).

6. MrPeel

MrPeel

Aug 21, 2012
    I played one at Long and McQuades and Sherwood Music... both had ridiculously high tension strings, and the action was way too high... the one at Sherwood was way more playable though and for the price sounds pretty sweet. Can't say I'm a fan of blonde finish though... just personal preference